Living in China wanting to go back to the US. Is a K1 visa right?

Hey guys, here's the situation. I'm an American citizen and I've been living in China for about 5 years now and one of the major reasons I've stayed the last couple of years is that I'm in a relationship with my girlfriend whom I am planning to propose to within the next moth or so. (Ring in hand) I'm ready to move back to the US but I'm not leaving without her. I'm not sure what the best strategy is. I know that if I were living in the US a K1 visa would work perfectly but since I currently reside in China will I be able to petition for a K1 visa from here? If not is there a better option that I should persue?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

Darren

I concur, marry in China and then file an I-130 petition for a CR-1 spouse visa to DHS in Guangzhou or Beijing, it is the least expensive route, quickest, and results in an instant green-card upon entering the USA. K-1 requires mailing petition to the USA, and wait at least 9 months for an interview, and then the added expense of filing to adjust status to get a green-card after marriage in the USA.

Another thing it is very rare for the consulate to deny a CR-1 visa when the petition was filed to DHS in China.

Threads to study.

http://candleforlove...a-and-confused/

http://candleforlove...ualify-for-dcf/

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Also, with the CR-1, your wife will be given a green card upon arrival in the U.S., whereas with K1 you will have to go through Adjust Status, etc. CR-1 is also cheaper in the long run. I was in the same situation you were in way back in the last century (ha). I was living in China for five years and had been with my wife since two weeks after my arrival over there. The process is a tad easier now than it was back in those days, but it still takes awhile so be prepared to wait...and wait...and wait. Best of luck to you guys. Where are you in China?

Where are you in China?

I was in Beijing for about a year but I've been living in Tianjin coming up on 4 years now.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I was looking down the wrong path. I'll look into filing a DCF and get this ball rolling.

Feel the earthquake last night!? Checked it online after getting a slight shock while watching the soccer games last night, a 4.0-er between Beijing and Tianjin, I think around 3am or so if memory serves me correctly.........

Never had a single problem with our Chinese mariage license in America. Just as good as the American version. The VA , SS, and anyone else who needed to see it never blinked an eye.

I made sure to bring 2 copies of it back to the states in case I forgot where it was....double my chances of finding it.

Good luck.

tsap seui

Are there ever any marriage licence problems or anything that come up getting married abroad and then moving back to the US?

No, other than you need a letter from the US Consulate indicating you are not married, go to the US Embassy located in Beijing to get one.

SEE: http://beijing.usemb...cs_married.html

And as far as the USA is concerned it does not matter where you got married, that Chinese marriage cert is valid no matter where you go, When doing visa process you will need to get a couple copies of it along with English translation, the Notary office in China will bind the translation to the copies.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Feel the earthquake last night!? Checked it online after getting a slight shock while watching the soccer games last night, a 4.0-er between Beijing and Tianjin, I think around 3am or so if memory serves me correctly.........

Yeah! Actually, I did feel that earthquake. It was just after 3am and I was going to try to remember to look online to see if it was really an earthquake.