I-864 Self-employed annual income

Hi,

I am filliing out the Affidavit of Support form now and have a couple of questions.

Since I am self-employed and I just started my business in 2011, I'm wondering what to put on line 23 of the I-864 (Current individual annual income)?

I'm thinking that I should put a number that is close to my 2011 filing for total income(1040, Line 22). Is this what is recommended that I do?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am filliing out the Affidavit of Support form now and have a couple of questions.

Since I am self-employed and I just started my business in 2011, I'm wondering what to put on line 23 of the I-864 (Current individual annual income)?

I'm thinking that I should put a number that is close to my 2011 filing for total income(1040, Line 22). Is this what is recommended that I do?

Thanks.

It's up to you to DEMONSTRATE to the best of your ability your current annual income. If Line 22 is the best indication of your true income, then yes, use that figure. If not, then it may be in your best interest to include a cover sheet showing your income and how you arrive at a representative figure. They don't always look past Line 22 to see the true picture unless YOU point it out to them.

The income tax return is just ONE piece of evidence used in the determination of whether the applicant will become a public charge.

For current income you need to show you actually have current income, if an employee that would be pay stubs, if self employed this would be bank statements showing deposits, income and expenses with an estimate as to what you will make this year, you can use last years figure if you estimate thats what it will be, but still may be required to prove this.

Many self employed use a CPA to help with the books, they may be able to write up a statement estimating income for you.