filed for daughter to come to USA

Hi,

we filed i 130 to get my step daughter to USA in march 2012.My wife is permanent resident,and her daughter is unmarried over 21.(she is 25)

i recently went online to see the status,typed in receipt number,it is in the review stage, and below this statement it has a little box,where you enter in the petition you filed,the applicants status,citizen or permanent resident,who you are filing for,and then what service center your file is at.

I entered the information,then it gives you an estimated time. I get 17.2 months.,.....is this 17.2 months they get to keep it in some box on a shelf,before they will look at it? I am guessing that is what it has to be....generally,how long does it take to get ones loved ones to USA from China ?

thanks.

JIM

It's gonna be a long time...

The 17.5 month is understandable, due to the fact that it will be years before a visa number is made available by the state department, so USCIS has no reason to process the petition quickly, they give priority to petitions that qualify for a visa number the moment it is sent to the state department, (Spouse, Parent, young step child...)

Step daughter currently falls into the F2B priority class... As of this month The state department is assigning visa numbers to petitions that were filed January 2004 and before for F2B priority. About 8 years.

Note if she marries before your wife becomes a citizen her pending petition would be considered invalid. If your wife becomes a US citizen step daughter would be considered F1 priority (Apr 2005) and if she were to marry after your wife becomes a citizen, her priority shifts to F3 (Feb 2002).

Theses dates are subject to change from month to month due to visa number assignments, and if extra numbers in one priority class are used in other priority classes.

MORE: http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html