I-751 For Step-Son

My step son will need to start the process of his I-751 in the late spring of this year. He is scheduled to return to the US from China at the end of July, which would be a late time for him to get the needed paperwork into USCIS. Can we (me and his mom) complete his paperwork and so forth while he is still out of the country? He is in college in China and it would be hard for him to leave before his term ends. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You have a sticky situation, USCIS will require a biometrics to be done shortly after the application is filed which requires visiting the ASC near where you live, this cannot be handled overseas unless out of the country pursuant "Government Orders" or in the Military.

The application couled be filed while out of country, however Step Son will need to sign the form, probably have him download and fill out the I-751 and send it to you to then file in the states.

Also may be required to return to the USA before the two year card expires, and then do the biometrics, and while there get the I-551 stamp in passport to prevent problems traveling, then should be able to travel with the expired card and extension letter.

Thank you very much for your reply and help...we may have to somehow adjust his school schedule as per the Biometrics. Can the biometrics be re-scheduled I wonder? I really wouldn't want to do this, though. Anyway, I will heed your advice and again appreciate all your help. Sincerely, Mark

Here is the dig.. When does 2 year card expire?? Before or after school term?

Is going to have big issues leaving China with an expired card.

It is sometimes possible to reschedule BIO appointment, however I have seen posts where the rescheduling fails to be noted by the ASC, and they note a "NO-SHOW" causing all sorts of head-aches..

The card expires shortly after the school term, less than a month, July 16th. We were thinking to send in the 751 in early June...and he will be here on the 30th of June, therefore perhaps he will be here just in time for the biometrics appt. It will be taking a chance with timing no matter what, but I believe they set you up with biometrics about three to four weeks after filing the 751...I will have to study this more. He will be returning to China in late August or so, that could be another sticky one as he may have an interview...Thanks a lot for all your help. Sincerely, Mark

Do like we did file it about 10 days before expires.

I have yet to see a son/daughter interview for remmoval of conditions, it is based on parents removal of conditions,

Other consern is travel with expired card, as noted earlier, see about getting an I551 stamp while doing biometrics if ASC is field office.

Do like we did file it about 10 days before expires.

I have yet to see a son/daughter interview for remmoval of conditions, it is based on parents removal of conditions,

Other consern is travel with expired card, as noted earlier, see about getting an I551 stamp while doing biometrics if ASC is field office.

Thanks again Dan...I appreciate all your help!