Get Green Card Through Assets, Not Income

Hi,

I'm about to apply for my wife's green card later this month and the one sticking point in our application is my ability to support her financially. While my income is low (I was a student up until this point), I do have some liquid assets that barely push me over the $55K USD barrier. A few questions:

1) I've sold all of my stock and am combining all of my funds into one bank account. From here, I will get an official bank statement showing my assets. Does this sound like a sound idea?

2) Would retirement plans also be considered liquid assets for the asset test? If so, this would give me some additional leverage.

3) Can I point out my pre-China salary as a benchmark for what I anticipate I will receive once I return to the USA to add an extra layer of safety? This was well over the $18K wage limit and, I assume should help with my argument of being able to support my wife.

Thanks

1) Would need to show where the deposits came from, receipts from stock sale, as well and perhaps if stock was in an account, the statements showing that it was your stock for some time. Just showing a bank account with a very recent deposit will not be sufficient, for example anyone could get a large loan from a family member to pad the account, until after getting visa or green-card, and then simply return the sum leaving you at the low balance situation prior to the large deposit.

2) Yes, balance in Retirement accounts can be used as assets, however keep in mind if liquidating asset would cause financial hardship or loss as in penalties they may not consider it an asset.

3) It shows a work record, however the question is will this be the case after returning to the states.

Easiest thing to do is secure a joint sponsor in the states, and you worry about establishing domicile.

1) Would need to show where the deposits came from, receipts from stock sale, as well and perhaps if stock was in an account, the statements showing that it was your stock for some time. Just showing a bank account with a very recent deposit will not be sufficient, for example anyone could get a large loan from a family member to pad the account, until after getting visa or green-card, and then simply return the sum leaving you at the low balance situation prior to the large deposit.

2) Yes, balance in Retirement accounts can be used as assets, however keep in mind if liquidating asset would cause financial hardship or loss as in penalties they may not consider it an asset.

3) It shows a work record, however the question is will this be the case after returning to the states.

Easiest thing to do is secure a joint sponsor in the states, and you worry about establishing domicile.

Bingo. Also you might consider at least putting a resume on Monster.com and getting a few job leads. That will help show intent to reestablish domicile, and who knows if you land a sweet job, then the finance issue will likely work itself out

The only problem is -- I have no one to go to for the joint sponsorship. Finding a job sounds like the only option, but it might require me moving back to the USA before my wife.

They are required to consider the totality of your circumstances in order to determine if your wife may become a public charge. Burning through a barely adequate lump sum with no job does not present a good picture - yes, that job may be your best bet, but an offer letter may just cut the mustard.

This is one of those cases where "enough" just may not BE enough - the problem is that you won't know until after the interview.