I-134 proof for a self-employed person living abroad

Until very recently I was living in China with my fiance and working as a freelance writer and editor. My fiance's interview is at the end of this month, and I have a co-sponsor, but I'm trying to figure out what the appropriate types of proof are for my own income, considering that I don't expect it to carry much weight with the consulate anyway. My options are:

-My tax returns for 2011. This is a given, but do I need to show some proof of having actually filed them, and if so, how do I get it? I couldn't find anything about this on the IRS website. Also, how important is it to submit the forms for previous years as well?

-A statement from my bank in the US. About half of my income did go through my US bank account (the other half was in cash in RMB), but I don't have any savings. I can't see a letter from the bank bolstering my case much, but I don't want to seem evasive.

-Proof of my current employment/salary. As of tomorrow I'm starting a 6-month job in Japan, at the end of which my fiance and I intend to move to the US together. Since my salary here doesn't count when determining whether I can support us in the States, the only ways I can see this being of possible help is by showing my employability, as well as, again, avoiding the appearance of evasiveness. But I wonder if it's unnecessary or might actually hurt by raising questions about my US domicile status.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

No way to get proof of filing the 2011 return until the IRS makes available the transcripts which tend to be a couple months after the April deadline.

You can get past year's transcripts from the IRS they are free, probably see if can have someone state side get them faxed or mailed to them, and have them scan and email them to you. The consulate has been known to get sticky about seeing 3 years worth of tax returns or transcripts.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=232168,00.html?portlet=105

The US Bank Account activity shows domicile, do you have any other evidence of maintaining US Domicile?? Is your employer state side, and will this employment continue after returning to the USA?

Some more on Domicile: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44509-enough-to-prove-domicile/

The six months in Japan should just work with timing, the K-1 should be valid for 6 months so should expire sometime after the Japan assignment.

No, it's not a US-based employer, and I don't yet have a job for when I get back to the States (although I plan to print out some emails that show I've been job-hunting there and had some interviews/interest). I also have a driver's license and some W-9's with my US address (my parents' house).

Sounds like you have the domicile issue covered, you need to show living abroad is of a temporary nature, maintaining a driver's license, making regular deposits to a bank account in the states, receiving mail at a US address, filing returns every year, show maintaining domicile in the USA.

Ok, thanks. So do you think I should submit a letter from my job in Japan?

I probably would not, it shows no support after getting the Visa and entry to the USA, a letter from employment in the states would be what they are looking for.

Japan letter just invites questions.

Lets hope the visa gets set for 6 months.

No way to get proof of filing the 2011 return until the IRS makes available the transcripts which tend to be a couple months after the April deadline.

I filed quite early... and already asked for transcripts... and got it...

. . .but to answer the question - no, you do NOT need to provide proof of having filed the return. Simply copying the complete return, including W-2's, is enough.

• Like 1

I filed quite early... and already asked for transcripts... and got it...

. . .but to answer the question - no, you do NOT need to provide proof of having filed the return. Simply copying the complete return, including W-2's, is enough.

MY post is only to say... if you filed.... you maybe can get the transcript now...

I quoted Dan's comment ... so my post is about getting a transcript or not... Continue to interject as necessary.

Correct, By signing the I-864 or I-134 affidavit of support, you are swearing that what is attached (Copies of 1040+W2+1099) are true and accurate.