T-Mobile will not carry iPhone

david_dawei

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/23/technology/t-mobile_iphone/index.htm

No iPhone leads 700,000 customers to flee T-Mobile

Ok... I find myself surprisingly a little tech challenged in understanding the point being made in the article about the challenge to T-Mobile having the iPhone:

The issue, executives say, has to do with the spectrum band T-Mobile's network operates in. The iPhone's chipset does not support that band.

I have an unlocked iPhone working on T-Mobile... so the iPhone works on the T-Mobile network.

Is the issue whether I can access 2G, 3G, or 4G services?

And if yes... exactly why do I need something more if it works now?

Guest ExChinaExpat

The American telephone business is one of the most corrupt in the world. Since 2008, I have not missed the insane list of rules and high bills required to get and maintain a phone in the US. They are charging ten, if not 20-times more than other countries for the very same services.

New phones vs older phones, sounds like apple dropped the ability to support t-Mobile's older network and may not be compatible with t-mobile's upgrades. I guess Apple is focusing on the bigger carriers like Verizon and ATT

The American telephone business is one of the most corrupt in the world. Since 2008, I have not missed the insane list of rules and high bills required to get and maintain a phone in the US. They are charging ten, if not 20-times more than other countries for the very same services.

There are lower cost alternatives, but yes the big companies are out to take a big wet bite out of the wallet.

One big rip off is the amount of tax that is on the bill, my bill here in NY has nearly 23% tax on it.

Here are the top 10 highest cell phone taxing states, with their combined average federal, state and local cell phone tax rates:

• Nebraska, 23.69%
  • Washington, 23%
  • New York, 22.83%
  • Florida, 21.62%
  • Illinois, 20.90%
  • Rhode Island, 19.67%
  • Missouri, 19.28%
  • Pennsylvania, 19.13%
  • Kansas, 18.39%
  • Texas, 17.48%

Overall, 23 states and the nation's capital have average state-local wireless taxes and fees in excess of 10%.

http://money.msn.com...fc-b81f55b113ea

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

New phones vs older phones, sounds like apple dropped the ability to support t-Mobile's older network and may not be compatible with t-mobile's upgrades. I guess Apple is focusing on the bigger carriers like Verizon and ATT

I don't follow... dropped support for older networks and not compatible for upgrades.... but iPhones work on T-Mobile.

Let's just talk plain language... why does the iPhone work on T-Mobile NOW ?

@ Jesse.... I feel your rant... and agree... and we are still light years behind because we follow a profit-profile to suck every dollar possible out of consumers... that is our market construct. Pay the stockholders while we bend over consumers... Not my thread but I know the drill :victory:

Do you have a 4s iPhone? I believe the article is talking about the newest 4s models and ones to come out in the future, from what I read the 4s is not compatible with t-Mobile's 3G network.

Guest ExChinaExpat

I don't follow... dropped support for older networks and not compatible for upgrades.... but iPhones work on T-Mobile.

Let's just talk plain language... why does the iPhone work on T-Mobile NOW ?

@ Jesse.... I feel your rant... and agree... and we are still light years behind because we follow a profit-profile to suck every dollar possible out of consumers... that is our market construct. Pay the stockholders while we bend over consumers... Not my thread but I know the drill :victory:

Yeah, it's a rant, made only too clear by not only seeing how cheap and easy it is to buy any phone and use it in China, but to also talk to other expats about the cell phone services in their home countries. No other country is raping the consumer like they do in the US phone market.

Regarding iPhone, I knows it's like designer jeans. Nice to show to others, but the competition provides much of the same, and cheaper. Get a phone with an Android platform and sell the iPhone to scott.

Dan.... good point... I should at least share my 'hardware'.... I have a iPhone 3gs.... so your post is well taken. Thanks !

Jesse... I have the info I needed... and I should not of cut you off so fast as the thread is not so important... and I would rather let people 'rant' at times...

So share comments and info as desired on the iPhone in China.... or in the US...

I do think our technology provided in phones is behind China who has for a very, very long time depended more on the phone... and we depend on "messages"; chinese do not have this... If you call someone, you expect they answer... then call again...

In a TaiJi class lead by a chinese I experienced a telling example.... americans think a phone ring in such an environment is rude... but chinese think a phone ring is important... someone is calling you... In the middle of class, a phone rang and the american person started to stammer and profusely apologize... all the while she did nothing about it.. just talk.... The TaiJi teacher (chinese) said, "just answer it"... very simple... A western teacher would most like lecture people on turning it off during class...

Guest ExChinaExpat

Dan.... good point... I should at least share my 'hardware'.... I have a iPhone 3gs.... so your post is well taken. Thanks !

Jesse... I have the info I needed... and I should not of cut you off so fast as the thread is not so important... and I would rather let people 'rant' at times...

So share comments and info as desired on the iPhone in China.... or in the US...

I do think our technology provided in phones is behind China who has for a very, very long time depended more on the phone... and we depend on "messages"; chinese do not have this... If you call someone, you expect they answer... then call again...

In a TaiJi class lead by a chinese I experienced a telling example.... americans think a phone ring in such an environment is rude... but chinese think a phone ring is important... someone is calling you... In the middle of class, a phone rang and the american person started to stammer and profusely apologize... all the while she did nothing about it.. just talk.... The TaiJi teacher (chinese) said, "just answer it"... very simple... A western teacher would most like lecture people on turning it off during class...

I think most Chinese business people are aware of this. They turn OFF their phones when they are in meetings or entertaining guests. But, there are many who consider the ring of the phone to be a status symbol and proceed to not only answer it, but to speak loudly enough so they can be heard by the caller without the use of the phone at all.

http://money.cnn.com...phone/index.htm

No iPhone leads 700,000 customers to flee T-Mobile

Ok... I find myself surprisingly a little tech challenged in understanding the point being made in the article about the challenge to T-Mobile having the iPhone:

The issue, executives say, has to do with the spectrum band T-Mobile's network operates in. The iPhone's chipset does not support that band.

I have an unlocked iPhone working on T-Mobile... so the iPhone works on the T-Mobile network.

Is the issue whether I can access 2G, 3G, or 4G services?

And if yes... exactly why do I need something more if it works now?

The answer the original poster's question (cuz I didn't see anyone actually answer that), while you may have iPhone service on Tmobile right now, it is at much slower speeds than your phone is actually capable of obtaining (even if it is an old phone). You probably won't notice the speeds for just phone service, but if you use much data service or web browsing you would certainly notice.

Come to the dark side and get an android. Nexus and Galaxy S2 are carried by T Mobile

The answer the original poster's question (cuz I didn't see anyone actually answer that), while you may have iPhone service on Tmobile right now, it is at much slower speeds than your phone is actually capable of obtaining (even if it is an old phone). You probably won't notice the speeds for just phone service, but if you use much data service or web browsing you would certainly notice.

That makes sense...

I actually do not use the data plan so much but I have an app which makes calls to china VOIP... this is generally very good service but a few hiccups have occur. I guess it is possible that this would become hiccup-free if I could access the higher speeds but it's not worth pay a penny more to me.

@ Kyle... I hear good things about android phones... the dark side of the iPhone has me in its clutches !