White Person + Asian Person = $

Beachey

Friend pointed this out to me: http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/02/white-person-asian-person.html

Based upon this Pew Research:http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/02/16/the-rise-of-intermarriage/2/

White/Asian Couples have the highest combined income among all racial combinations. My first thought is the Asian propensity to work hard and earn money together with the advantage of being white in America might account for some of this. Or this could be an example of " Correlation does not imply causation".

Any other thoughts?

Interesting, but probably depends on situation.

Seems to not apply in our case, it has been a struggle the past 5 years, I work, and the wife has held several part time jobs, but mostly has been unemployed. Having a very hard time finding any work for the wife that pays anything, she is currently studying for a masage license and hopefully this may work out.

Interesting, but probably depends on situation.

Seems to not apply in our case, it has been a struggle the past 5 years, I work, and the wife has held several part time jobs, but mostly has been unemployed. Having a very hard time finding any work for the wife that pays anything, she is currently studying for a masage license and hopefully this may work out.

I think in most of our cases with our wives having limited English or just having to start over in developing a career here just might rule our group out of that equation. Still, have to agree with Beachey that our wives are very industrious and they're not too many slouchers to be found among them.

Fortunately, my wife has found a ninch taking care of newborn Chinese babies here in LA and seems to have her pick of work, albeit that the Chinese bosses require her to work 12 on 12 off 7 days a week. :sosad: Still, she works for a month and then takes a month off. Can't say that her $75/day pay puts us up in the category that Beachey's OP shows. But, when I look at what Leiqin isn't spending because she's working you can probably double that daily pay. :)

Connections is my guess. Lets face it, its still much easier for Caucasians to advance. My theory is that you take the smarts, drive and determination of the Chinese, and you combine that with the White Man's connections, and you have pretty much an unstoppable combination. As has been pointed out here, it may not be a first generation (Asian) firecracker---but it most certainly is for the second generation.

Some smart Chinese have figured out that one of the best ways to get on the inside track in white society is to join a church. ----at first blush, seem kind of hypocritical, but hey, we evangelicals ain't proud! We'll take all comers! Its a starting point.... (although, the church I attend is Chinese....)