Lived in China 2011 Time to filed Taxes here in CA

Guest Alberto

Guest Alberto

On January 19, 2011, I moved to China and lived with my wife which I married back in November the previous year. During this year, my wife taught at home English courses to elementary students and the projected income for the year less than 20,000.00. My job during this process was to facilitate the room and the administration of time keeping. Now, that I am in the states I am getting ready to filed my tax return here in California. Question, can I claim my wife, daughter and in-laws as dependents since we all lived in the same household. My time duration in China was 11 months. I have also heard that I apply for my wife a TIN. Is this true/

I want to do the correct thing and avoid any issues with the IRS and for that matter my wife and daughter future VISA process.

Thank you,

Al Maldonado

On January 19, 2011, I moved to China and lived with my wife which I married back in November the previous year. During this year, my wife taught at home English courses to elementary students and the projected income for the year less than 20,000.00. My job during this process was to facilitate the room and the administration of time keeping. Now, that I am in the states I am getting ready to filed my tax return here in California. Question, can I claim my wife, daughter and in-laws as dependents since we all lived in the same household. My time duration in China was 11 months. I have also heard that I apply for my wife a TIN. Is this true/

I want to do the correct thing and avoid any issues with the IRS and for that matter my wife and daughter future VISA process.

Thank you,

Al Maldonado

Check Publication 501 for specifics, but in general "You cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a

resident of Canada or Mexico". Your spouse, however, qualifies for an exemption.

But you most likely don't owe any taxes anyway on money earned in China - check out Form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

Yes, you will need to file a Form W-7 with your income tax return to apply for an ITIN for your wife