alternate airport for shenzhen travel.

On my recent trip to Shenzhen I did a lot of shopping around for travel deals. I found that the best option for me was to travel to Chicago, then to fly nonstop to Hong Kong. By doing this I saved 300 dollars and 18 hours of travel time.

There is a very easy way to get from HKIA to Shenzhen use the Sky Ferry service. You do not have to go thru Hong Kong customs. You purchase the ticket give them your checked bag receipt and fill out the China customs forms. Very easy and the cost is around $45 USD.

This sure beats the cost of the private car I hired, or the cost of a taxi.

The ferry can deliver you to 2 different locations in Shenzhen. The location with the most trips per day is the Shenzhen Shekou port. From there you can board the subway or easily get a taxi.

There is one downside to using the ferry service. The last ferry of the day for shekou port leaves at 8:30pm. They reccomend that you purchase the ticket at least 45 minutes prior to the ferry leaving. This gives them time to collect your luggage from the airline and get it to the boat. So you have to make sure your flight arrives fairly early in the evening. United has a flight that arrives at 6:45pm several times a week.

I hope this will save someone else some time and money on a future trip

Sounds like a very enjoyable way to access Shenzhen via the water ~ ! (and after about 10 + hours on the plane), who wouldn't want a little fresh air in your face! If Shenzhen is your ultimate destination, makes a lot of sense!

Bus to Shenzhen is cheapest, (border crossing a slight hassle) train fastest and most convenient, in my estimation.