Buying a multi-city ticket and getting off at first stop

So I live in Cincinnati, but the cheapest and easiest city for my wife to fly into is Detroit. A one way ticket to Detroit from Shanghai costs $1,100, but a flight from Shanghai to Chicago with a stop in Detroit costs $800. Detroit is closer to me than Chicago (not to mention Detroit is my hometown and would be more convenient for me). Are they going to question it at Detroit customs and immigration if she has a connecting flight to Chicago but tells them she plans not to take the flight? I've also heard that opting out of a connecting flight can cause problems with the airlines but I'm less concerned about that either way; on principle I take issue with them charging us more for less flight.

Should be no problem, less so than buying a round trip and not using the return trip.

The bags need to be cleared through customs, simply clear customs and leave the airport, if asked, simply have her tell them husband decided to pick up in Detriot and visit family there.

This is common, sometimes RT is less than one way, go with what saves most, and cancle the leg not used, they probably will have someone on standby anyway.

Should be no problem, less so than buying a round trip and not using the return trip.

The bags need to be cleared through customs, simply clear customs and leave the airport, if asked, simply have her tell them husband decided to pick up in Detriot and visit family there.

This is common, sometimes RT is less than one way, go with what saves most, and cancle the leg not used, they probably will have someone on standby anyway.

Wonderful, thanks for the reply. I had assumed RT would be cheaper than one way because it has been every other time I've flown from Detroit->Beijing/Shanghai or vice versa. It was a rather pleasant surprise this morning to find out that we could save $600 by getting a one way ticket. Hopefully she gets her visa in the next couple of days or it may be a moot point...