Strange behavior: Lao Po afraid of American law

griz326

So the Eureka court sent Lao Po a letter in today's mail. I thought she got a speeding ticket and was trying to hide if from me. So I teased her that she was going to go to jail by putting my hands together which is our sign for handcuffs.

Next thing you know she breaks into a loud wail and starts to cry. She said she wanted to go back to China because she was afraid of American law. She wasn't faking. I did my best to explain that I was joking, but she wailed on. It took about 2 hours to assure her that the law was not going to take her to jail!

It turned out to be a notice to serve on the local jury. I doubt that she's qualified for jury duty, but who knows!

But what concerns me is the honest fear of American law... Are your girls afraid of the law? Any reason why? She really wanted to go back to China for a few hours. ???

So the Eureka court sent Lao Po a letter in today's mail. I thought she got a speeding ticket and was trying to hide if from me. So I teased her that she was going to go to jail by putting my hands together which is our sign for handcuffs.

Next thing you know she breaks into a loud wail and starts to cry. She said she wanted to go back to China because she was afraid of American law. She wasn't faking. I did my best to explain that I was joking, but she wailed on. It took about 2 hours to assure her that the law was not going to take her to jail!

It turned out to be a notice to serve on the local jury. I doubt that she's qualified for jury duty, but who knows!

But what concerns me is the honest fear of American law... Are your girls afraid of the law? Any reason why? She really wanted to go back to China for a few hours. ???

It is the fear of the unknown.

In my State how they select you for jury duty is by you being a registered voter. To vote you must be a citizen of the USA.

Have you ever seen a policeman order anyone to do anything in China? I've never had one say anything other than "Hello", or "Can I help you?".

It's just a whole different attitude that they're not used to. My wife was fairly fearless, but I'm sure a lot depends on what stories they heard before coming. Her attitude toward the law was pretty much the same as it is here in China.

Of course, she CAN'T serve on a jury unless she's a citizen.

Summons should have a check box asking if are a Citizen, so indicate is a non citizen, and in that case they will dismiss this due to only Citizens can serve on a Jury.

If memory serves me correctly your court probably is down in Billings, Here is their site: http://www.co.yellowstone.mt.gov/clerk_court/

There is a number to call or email them to be excused for the non-citizen reason,

Griz;

Here I sit in the "middle kingdom" on our month long visit - or however long I can get her to stay. The facts from this Tai Tai is that (1) She doesn't care if she ever returns to China, (2) Thinks China is nothing but corrupt - and doesn't trust any Government Official. She believes in the US system of Law, and is ready to apply for citizenship as soon as eligible. She believes that one gets a fair shot here in the US. I of course have tempered that thinking and assure her that there are in fact flavors of justice and fairness. But, in short, she trusts the US, is not scared of anything in the US (Except maybe me skiing, diving, and doing other dangerous things in her mind) and thinks there is nothing in China for women and the average citizen. That's her view - for what it's worth.

But for all......I have to here once again talk about the inflation factor in China. I know I've said it before...but this time she is out of her mind with contempt for price hikes. OK, an example - we've only been here 3 days so I don't have real evidence only anecdotal musings.....Our favorite seafood restaurant ...in 2007 it costs about 400-600 for our family of 4/6 to go out to dinner - consume some beer and go home. It crept up to about 600-700 by the time we left at the end of 2008. Last year that same - approximately the same items - rose to between 850-950 just below the 1000 RMB level - as I so painfully remember. Well folks - this year our first outing - same people - approximately the same food - 1175, and I also made the mistake of giving the "server girl" the 25 RMB change because we were in a private room - my goodness did I hear about that....but bottom line....it was 1200 RMB for dinner!

I now need to go to the 15 RMB noodle shop and compare prices. With the 9 hour time-zone difference I'm still adjusting and I just got my wireless working. Boy did Google P...OFF the CHinese Gov't. If you have a GMAIL account or use GOOGLE search you might as well forget about it when located in China. I had to forward all my mail, and alert everyone to use my "Other EMAIL Account"...because downloads won't work, connection times are measured in 10 minute blocks.....mysteriously all the other stuff works! I also notice other subtle changes....Banks are closed on Saturday, the MAX RMB extraction out of HSBC is 2500 RMB a hit, and gas is still higher in cost than Hawaii.

We work with the Banks on Monday....and my wife informs me we can depart for Home - at anytime....!!!

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

I intend to introduce her to the judge on Monday. Stormy, our judge, will assure her that she is safe...I hope.

WHOA there! That's a good way to get a case thrown out of court if they don't realize she's not a citizen.

I think he has a friend who is a Judge, and simply wants his wife to meet with his friend to perhaps learn a few things about how US Justice is handled.

I intend to introduce her to the judge on Monday. Stormy, our judge, will assure her that she is safe...I hope.

WHOA there! That's a good way to get a case thrown out of court if they don't realize she's not a citizen.

I think he has a friend who is a Judge, and simply wants his wife to meet with his friend to perhaps learn a few things about how US Justice is handled.

Yeah - when he said, "the judge", I read that as meaning the judge on the jury summons. I didn't stop to think that there might only BE one judge. :lol:

But seriously, it's very possible for her to show up for jury duty and get selected for a jury without noticing that she was supposed to disqualify herself.

"...the MAX RMB extraction out of HSBC is 2500 RMB a hit, and gas is still higher in cost than Hawaii. ...."

Wow, Mike, no good news... I hate inflation in China, particularly if it involves the local beer prices ---- (pork I can tolerate, even with the complaints from family members seated around me --- thus the beer)

And its been a while--- my recollection was that in a no hassle withdraw from HSBC was about 7,500 RMB --- but it been a while. Really can't understand how the price of petrol can be above Hawaii ---- why hasn't China's economy ground to a halt ?

Hi Steve,

My wife got one of those letters for jury duty from the Spokane County court system about 3 years ago. My wife has been a citizen for 5 or 6 years now, so she was eligible to serve. We simplely filled out the sheet and stated that her english was not that great and also that we had at that time a 5 or 6 year old daughter that needed her mothers attention and needed to be excused. We sent it in and never heard another word back from the court about it except to say that she was excused from duty.

Gale

Oh so true.

And if you've ever watched "The Big Bang Theory," you know the Chinese get sarcasm about as much as Sheldon!

I do know one thing, Chinese do not care for joking. They don't understand it.

She must really go nuts on Spades night; we kid and tease her half to death, BUT she comes right back with her own jibes.

Maybe it's change of life, or a brain reboot, or something else wacky! Lao Po told me this morning that she wants to be USA! (She wants to change her citizenship)

Oh boy! :)

She must really go nuts on Spades night; we kid and tease her half to death, BUT she comes right back with her own jibes.

Maybe it's change of life, or a brain reboot, or something else wacky! Lao Po told me this morning that she wants to be USA! (She wants to change her citizenship)

Oh boy! :)

:lol:

If she wants to go for Citizenship, the earliest can file that N-400 is Dec 14 or so of this year which is within 90 days prior to 3 years of residency which started 3/13/2009 or a few days before that for your wife. The period of stay in China a couple years ago was 171 days, which is less than the 6 month max allowed, so that is no problem.

Only issue I see is her retirement, not sure if Chinese citizenship is a requirement, or did she take it in a lump sum?