Fiance received B2 visa, concerned about Customs & Border Protecti

Recently my fiance was able to successfully get a B2 tourism visa to go back to the United States with me and spend Christmas/New Years with my family. Major hurdle one: complete!

Now I've begun worrying about what happens when we get off the plane in the United States. I've contacted my Consul General regarding any additional documentation we should bring beyond passport/visa/return ticket itinerary but I'm more concerned with the CBP interrogation and what she should tell them.

I think we have two options:

1. She shouldn't mention our relationship unless explicitly asked (and not mention the engagement at all) and instead tell them that she is visiting friends for Christmas and New Years.

2. She can go ahead and tell them that she is traveling with me (still not mention engagement) to visit my family for the holidays (I will be on the plane with her but I assume I won't be able to be in line with her?).

Additional info: We are both 25 years old. I've been living in China for 3 years. We don't plan on immigrating any time soon. We have the support of the Consul General however I doubt that will mean much to the CBP Officer.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by yanglan (see edit history)

I would be honest, "Visiting boy-friend's family and friends for holidays" is better than trying to conseal. Engagement is also a state of mind, there is nothing in writing stating "fiancee", as far as the POE is concerned you are boy-friend/girl-friend.

What tends to set the POE off is a wedding dress and other legal docs like birth cert in baggage, this shows intent to marry in the USA with possible immigrations intent.

Also, yes you will be in different lines at the POE, they tend to have a line for returning citizens and residents, and a different line for visitors.

Given that you have successfully gotten through the consulate, you likely will not have an issue. Where I have heard this can be an issue is for people entering on the Visa Waiver Program (essentially citizens of other Western democracies) while they have an immigration visa pending.

The advice there is to have evidence of ties to your home country at entry. The evidence you used to obtain the visa. A letter from an employer stating when she is expected back (in English). But as Dan said, be honest and you most likely will have no issues.

Great, thanks for your replies!

We will go with her being totally honest and I'll make sure she has a folder with itinerary, invitation letters, etc just to be extra safe. We won't bring anything that could be remotely construed as her trying to immigrate that's for sure.

I just can't handle the thought of her finally being able to make this trip with me and then getting stopped at customs...