No tax transcripts/tax returns for interview

This is similar to a topic I started about a month ago, so I apologize if I should have bumped that rather than starting a new thread.

I'm a law student and haven't had taxable income for the past three years, so I haven't filed taxes. My wife's interview is on the 7th/8th and I'm contemplating filling out back taxes using 1040EZs (0s in every field because again, no taxable income), emailing copies to my wife, and sending them into the IRS.

I included a letter with the I-864 explaining why I haven't filed taxes as well as evidence of loans for school and bank statements for the past year. I obviously also have a joint sponsor who meets the income requirements, and my wife has the joint sponsor's tax returns and tax transcripts for the past 3 years.

My wife is concerned that it will raise a red flag with the interviewer if they ask for my tax returns and she has them after I included a letter stating that I had not paid taxes the past three years. She's also concerned that since the IRS will probably not have processed my back taxes by the time of her interview, the interviewer might check the IRS records and conclude that I still haven't filed back taxes and am just giving tax returns that haven't been filed.

Thoughts? Should we just let it ride without the tax returns (again, I really haven't been required to file these past three years)? Am I being paranoid? If it is just paranoia, it's probably not going away until after the 8th. Any input is appreciated!

No VO is going to verify if the taxes were filed or not; but that is the advantage of transcripts over the paper copy.

I don't think you need to do anything at all; what you appear to have done (provided a letter explaining why you did not file and you have a joint sponsor) should be sufficient. If the joint sponsor's income level is more than sufficient then there should not be a problem. When a VO questions the Income angle it seems to me they fish around for other issues.

Is the joint sponsor a relative? That would look better and normal.

Thanks, I'm definitely leaning towards not filing after reading your reply.

The joint sponsor is my mother; she makes a bit over double the income requirement. We also have photos of her in China for our wedding ceremony this past summer, though I can't imagine photos will make a difference for joint sponsor purposes. Ahh, I don't know, I'm going to drive myself insane in the next week I'm sure...

Thanks, I'm definitely leaning towards not filing after reading your reply.

The joint sponsor is my mother; she makes a bit over double the income requirement. We also have photos of her in China for our wedding ceremony this past summer, though I can't imagine photos will make a difference for joint sponsor purposes. Ahh, I don't know, I'm going to drive myself insane in the next week I'm sure...

IMO, that the joint sponsor went to china and you have pictures of her with your lady is very good. It is rare which means you have evidence most others do not have. I think it adds to the idea that they don't have to find a reason to question the sponsorship issues. That's my thinking. Good luck.

And if for some reason they do give you a blue, although unfortunate and a much unwanted delay, remedying the situation would most likely be straightforward and simple - just submitting your taxes like you said with all zeroes, and then waiting for another interview to be scheduled. With the timing as it is now, I too say let it ride.