K1 process started

Paperwork is in and the Nao1 has been received 10-06-2011. The only bad thing is that Vermont seems to be processing the paperwork from March. I hope they have just not updated the web site in a long time. On the plus side it will give me a chance to get another trip or 2 over for the proof of relationship.

Does anyone think that they will have a problem with an hour of Skype video chat every night for proof of relationship? I should have 2 or 3 trips over by the time of the interview. From what I have been reading the proof of relationship aspect can be the most annoying part of the process, well other than the waiting.

Also if anyone is near the Rochester NY area can you help me find some Asian food stores. Yaun will want to shop there.

Ross

Yes, in K-1 cases relationship evidence is very important. The Interviewing officer seems to always have this question in mind, "If a solid relationship, then what stopped you from getting married first, and then applying for a spouse visa?" Keep in mind the main reason for K-1 is for situations where getting married overseas is difficult to impossible due to reasons like marriage laws, age, religion, etc... that do not exist in the USA.

Keep a log of when you communicated, it does not need to detail what the communication was about, just time and dates, I tended to take screen-shots of the date time log from skype, yahoo, and email.

As for food stores, there are several in Henrietta and one or two on the north side of Rochester.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33523-chinese-food-stores-etc/page__view__findpost__p__444513

We live in the Rochester area.

The issues they seem to pick at are:

1. Past marriages by either side (and if she has a child)

2. How you meet and how much time you have physically spent together

3. How well she knows your life, work, etc.

4. Her english ability (ergo, communication)

5. Finances

While at GUZ last month, we heard of a number of interviews which were K1-turned-CR1 from past denials. So Dan makes an interesting point about 'why didn't you marry'. This question actually gets asked.

If your doing skype video, how do you prove you actually communicate with her? Are you also using the IM to chat to show her english ability?

So Dan makes an interesting point about 'why didn't you marry'. This question actually gets asked.

And has valid answers, even from an immigrations point of view. Not everyone will make life decisions based on what makes immigrations easiest.

They could just as easily ask of a CR1 - "Why DID you marry?"

I'm not disagreeing with what's being said - just wincing a little bit. Be prepared for it, hopefully with an answer that doesn't begin with, "I didn't know that . . ." or has anything to do with immigrations benefits - something maybe about actually WANTING to get married in the US, or about wanting to be able to be together when you get married?

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

So Dan makes an interesting point about 'why didn't you marry'. This question actually gets asked.

And has valid answers, even from an immigrations point of view. Not everyone will make life decisions based on what makes immigrations easiest.

I'm not disagreeing with what's being said - just wincing a little bit. Be prepared for it, hopefully with an answer that doesn't begin with, "I didn't know that . . ." or has anything to do with immigrations benefits - something maybe about actually WANTING to get married in the US, or about wanting to be able to be together when you get married?

Not going to disagree; everyone should be prepared with valid answers. But this is a K1 issue; I have never seen it asked of CR1 but have seen it asked to K1s.

Not going to disagree; everyone should be prepared with valid answers. But this is a K1 issue; I have never seen it asked of CR1 but have seen it asked to K1s.

I would also point out that he's already FILED the K-1. Hopefully, we're trying to help him UNDERSTAND the question as NOT indicating that he should have gotten married and filed an I-130, but as one that can be answered as "Why do you wish to get married in the US?".

The positive tack works much better, as you yourself found out.