QUESTION ABOUT Z WORK VISA

Reddragon75

Hey all,

Greetings from China! Well.....I decided to move to China so we could be together until a decision is made in our case by USCIS. I was told by them that it could take anywhere from 6 months - a year or longer.

I arrived here on September 9th. I tried teaching at 2 different schools after arriving here, but it didn't go well. Luckily, I did find a radio station in Beijing that employs foreigners (China Radio International). My B.A. degree is in Broadcastiing. I had a job interview Friday and was offered a position.

Anyway...as some of you know, I am a felon. I have to apply for a Z visa in order to work for CRI. I have to submit a background check with the visa application. Obviously, my concern is that I will not get it because I am a felon. The offense happened almost 9 years ago and it was neither violent nor drug related. My wife found somewhere on the internet that if the applicant has a criminal record then they will not be issued a Z visa, but my research indicated that a criminal history does not necessarily disqualify someone from getting a Z visa and that it depends on the nature of the offense. Does anyone know if it is still possible for me to get the visa, or know of someone I can contact and ask them?

Thanks

William

I got this on line, and it is good advice, and sounds promising..

Criminal Record Question 3.3 on the new China visa application form, Q-2007, specifically asks "Do you have any criminal record in China or any other country?" No distinction is made about whether that record must include a conviction or if the crime was a misdemeanor (minor crime) or a felony. Technically, for example, a charge of DUI (driving under the influence; a misdemeanor for the first offense) that was later reduced to reckless driving in which the defendant pleaded "no contest" would still constitute a criminal record.

On the application form itself, it clearly states that a criminal record does not necessarily preclude the applicant from receiving a visa. Abundant anecdotal evidence seems to support that: Foreigners with misdemeanor records for DUIs, simple assaults (domestic violence), and petty larceny have reported receiving visas to China after having truthfully reported and explained the incidents on the application.

Some foreigners have suggested that it is best just to lie about the presence of a criminal record because "there is no way for the Chinese embassy to know." We strongly disagree. The Chinese embassy or consulate in your home state, district, or region has access to the very same criminal and background checking services that any prospective employer does. If you are caught lying on the visa application, that alone will automatically disqualify you from receiving a visa, perhaps for life.

It appears that a criminal record for anything other than a major felony comprising violent crimes involving deadly weapons or felony drug distribution convictions does not necessarily disqualify you from receiving a visa to China. If you have a criminal record, it is best not to use a proxy service to apply for your visa. Instead, you should apply in person to the Chinese embassy or nearest consulate and, face-to-face with the consulate officer, directly explain the details of your offense, arrest, and case disposition. Make certain that you wear professional-looking business attire and be as contrite and apologetic as possible. From what we've read and heard, your chances for receiving a visa are still good.

http://middlekingdom...rival-china.htm

Living together will ultimately help when the petition eventually get's approved, and moved to an interview.

I would get a competent Chinese visa agent or attorney to secure you the Z visa.

Connection is the name of the game in China.

You never did any protesting or any anti government activity against the Chinese government , in my opinion, your case is not too much of concern to them. anyway, talk to the Chinese visa people with connection to Gong An Que. ( PSB ).

I've used this service to get my last 2 visas while here in Beijing. They've been professional and helpful, and have never encountered any problems. I've applied and received 2 'F' business visas, but I know they also facilitate applying for Z visas.

http://www.sinovisaonline.com/English/index.aspx

Edited by dan1984 (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
All visa companies do are help facilitate getting a visa - for a hefty charge. I once paid 7,500RMB (1,200USD) for a F-Visa (business, multiple entry) from within China. That's through an agency. Screw the agencies. Go to a consulate and do it the right way without letting agencies screw up your immigration history. They used some business of their inside 'guangxi' (connections) to obtain me this business visa - then when i wanted to renew or extend - Boom! They rejected it. Screw the agencies.

All you need in apply formally with all paperwork, criminal background check (www.chinavalid.com), passports, residence cards, and just skip the stupid agencies.

DO IT RIGHT. DO IT SMART!!

• Like 1