Book Recommendations for Chinese Wife

My wife's English is actually very advanced. She has been studying IELTS in anticipation of going to school once we are permanently back in the States. As she studies, where she struggles is vocabulary and reading comprehension. We went to Barnes and Noble yesterday to try and find her some novels that she might enjoy that would also help her improve her English reading comprehension. This was her idea. Back in High School, my teachers told us the same thing that the best preparation for the SAT was to read.

I am looking for recommendations for specific books or authors that might appeal to my wife (in English). We are looking for fiction books. I read mostly non-fiction and the fiction I do read is not aimed at a female demographic. As we were browsing yesterday, there were a lot of romance novels and trashy beach books. Some books I wasn't sure if she would like because they depend too much on an understanding of American history and culture. However, learning some American culture would be a nice side benefit.

Does anyone have some ideas? Specific Books or Authors?

Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

I was thinking Amy Tan books too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_tc_2_0?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Ck%3AAmy+Tan

A NON-Fiction Auto-Biography I enjoyed imensley was Da Chen's Colors of the Mountain, and Sounds of the River

http://www.amazon.com/Colors-Mountain-Chen/dp/0385720602/

http://www.amazon.com/Sounds-River-Young-University-Beijing/dp/B000GG4Z5O

Da Chen tells his story of growing up in Cultural Revolution China, to going to college, and eventually getting to go to college in the USA.

A NON-Fiction Auto-Biography I enjoyed imensley was Da Chen's Colors of the Mountain, and Sounds of the River

dnoblett! I was also going to suggest some of Da Chen's memoirs, especially "Sounds of the River." Even though it's not fiction, the writing style is the same as with fiction, i.e., descriptive story-telling. I think Da Chen might be an inspiration for a Chinese wife trying to improve her English. His writing is masterful, at times laugh-out-loud hilarious and at other times downright heartbreaking, but always so very eloquent.

• 4 weeks later...

My thought went a different route.

I currently live and teach in China and I suggest for students that depending on their interest they check into the lists of award winners for:

Newbery Medal (ostensibly for children's authors, but some great titles for all ages!)

Hugo Award (science fiction or fantasy)

Nebula Award (science fiction

Look in Wikipedia for lists of winners.

My thought went a different route.

I currently live and teach in China and I suggest for students that depending on their interest they check into the lists of award winners for:

Newbery Medal (ostensibly for children's authors, but some great titles for all ages!)

Hugo Award (science fiction or fantasy)

Nebula Award (science fiction

Look in Wikipedia for lists of winners.

My first thought on this was the Harry Potter books as I know more than one American adult who has read and enjoyed them. My wife really likes the movies.

My wife's response was they were kid's books.

When I was in China I bought a book in English at a bookstore that was a translated Chinese classic. I don't remember the title but it was about a man that pulled a rickshaw for a living. The advantage to these books is if it is a story she is familiar with she might easier understand the English.

When I was in China I bought a book in English at a bookstore that was a translated Chinese classic. I don't remember the title but it was about a man that pulled a rickshaw for a living. The advantage to these books is if it is a story she is familiar with she might easier understand the English.

I have another idea that I am thinking of trying on my wife but I have not done it yet. Years ago, when I used to work at a local book store, many women liked to read the skinny romance novels. I know they have very little value as literature and the vocabulary is also pretty low level, but my wife's vocabulary is very limited and American women seem to like them very much. We used to sell used ones for 5/$1.00. I have thumbed through them. Some of them are a bit racy which might not be a bad thing if it helps hold their interest. The grammar is usually ok, and of course the subject appeals to American women, catching "Mr. Right" and living happily ever after. Of course, if YOU are not Mr. Right maybe that would not be a good thing. But seriously, reading anything is better than nothing and will improve grammar and vocabulary to some extent, preparing them for better more challenging literature in the future.