Citizenship Application: Sent!

I'm happy to report that we sent my wife's N-400 Citizenship Application in about a week ago. We got the USPS confirmation of delivery and we're waiting for the USCIS "official" confirmation of delivery/acceptance.

Some time ago I made a simple little web app for those who need or want to study the N-400 test questions. It has the correct info for each State (governor, representatives, capitol, etc). You can take the questions in order or randomly and you can display the answer(s) to each question.

In case anyone wants to use it I'll post the URL here again. My wife (and a few of her friends) have found it to be a big help in studying the questions.

N-400 US Citizenship Test Questions & Answers

I'll let you know what happens next, but we're in the home stretch.... :)

-

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I got a big ol' package from USCIS in the mail today and I figured it was another bunch of forms and maybe a Citizenship study booklet (that's what it felt like).

Noooooooope. lol

They kicked our application back to us because, as they explained, Sakha hasn't been in the country long enough. My response was, "WTF?? B*llsh*t!"

But they're right, and it's my fault for not paying close enough attention to the forms, or at least the actual meaning of some of the fine points. Doh. :(

It says that the applicant must have been married to a US citizen for at least three years (check) and that the applicant must also have been a permanent resident for 3 years. I mistook that to mean that the clock started ticking from the day she arrived, which is wrong.

It's from the date that the applicant received their Permanent Resident status.

My bad. :headbang:

Okay, so since that's the case, we just have to wait till December to file. No big deal. Unfortunately, I have a friend who is running along a similar timeline to me and he and his wife plan to emigrate to Cambodia the moment she gets her US citizenship and passport.

He was also under the impression that the clock started when his wife arrived, not from the date she received her Permanent Resident Card. And that's gonna add 6 or 7 months onto their earliest departure date. So that's gonna bugger up his plans a bit, but it is what it is. Live and learn, lol.

:wub:

@ RunningWithScissors - You can apply for citizenship 90 days prior to your 3 yr mark. That means you could apply in Sept 5th right? I am looking at your Dec 4 date to figure this. However, use whatever date is on her GC.

To determine your 90-day early filing date, begin by identifying your 5-year or 3-year date as a permanent resident. For example, if the date on your Permanent Resident Card says “July 4, 2006,” you meet the 5 year permanent resident requirement on “July 4, 2011.” If you have met all other eligibility requirements, you may file your completed Form N-400 90 days before “July 4, 2011.” The earliest date you may apply for naturalization would be “April 5, 2011.

PG 22

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

@ RunningWithScissors - You can apply for citizenship 90 days prior to your 3 yr mark. That means you could apply in Sept 5th right? I am looking at your Dec 4 date to figure this. However, use whatever date is on her GC.

After a long and somewhat frustrating discussion with USCIS, I'm still unsure, lol. The paperwork says to use the date on her Permanent Resident card, not her Green Card (Employment Authorization card). It's a little confusing.

After a long and somewhat frustrating discussion with USCIS, I'm still unsure, lol. The paperwork says to use the date on her Permanent Resident card, not her Green Card (Employment Authorization card). It's a little confusing.

The green card is the Permanent Resident card, NOT the Employment Authorization card.

Dec. 5 is her green card date, and her Permanent Residence date.