At The Point Of Entry

If I remember correctly, there's a reason for that tear, and no, it doesn't make any difference as far as acceptance at the POE. But I don't remember what the reason is, unless it's simply for "viewing" purposes (some airport officials may want to verify that papers are inside).

It is not so much a tear as a corner cut off. On my wife's envelope it is about a 2 cm x 2 cm x ~3 cm triangle. There is an outside page that has a data sheet that is stapled to the documents inside. The concept is so you can see what is inside but not remove it.

I agree with Randy, since most or all people will be bringing it on a plane, airline security holds you responsible for knowing the contents which would be impossible if the envelope was completely sealed.

Edited by Beachey (see edit history)

Also, I guess she needs to bring those x-rays from the medical exam? Kind of a hassle if not needed (they're big). I scanned several sites on the web before finding one that said to bring it (immihelp.com) -- none of the others mentioned it.

Anything else needed at POE?

1. passport with visa

2. mysterious envelope, unopened

3. medical x-rays (is that the x-rays really or just a report that's a separate document?)

I saw one online forum where someone was asked if they had extra photographs (the POE officer didn't see them in the enveloper). I guess it's not a bad idea...

Anything else? She'll be coming in LAX and I won't be with her (I'll meet her at LAX).

Also, I guess she needs to bring those x-rays from the medical exam? Kind of a hassle if not needed (they're big). I scanned several sites on the web before finding one that said to bring it (immihelp.com) -- none of the others mentioned it.

Anything else needed at POE?

1. passport with visa

2. mysterious envelope, unopened

3. medical x-rays (is that the x-rays really or just a report that's a separate document?)

I saw one online forum where someone was asked if they had extra photographs (the POE officer didn't see them in the enveloper). I guess it's not a bad idea...

Anything else? She'll be coming in LAX and I won't be with her (I'll meet her at LAX).

From all I have seen the POE rarely ask to see that x-ray, only in cases where the visa indicates medical condition that needs to be checked for at the POE.

I think I have read of one case where someone needed to show x-ray at the Hawaii POE.

In our case the x-ray was in a cardboard tube, we simply packed in in the bottom of the carry-on duffel bag.