I-864 some assistance please

So, I have my and my fathers i-864 sitting here, he is a joint sponsor.

He was to fill i-864 and not i-864a correct?

I noticed he did not fill it all capitols and it seems like i saw some where that it should be all caps, is that going to be a problem

I have elected for electronic processing, Do i send his as well as mine electronically?

Do i need to afix the barcodes if it is going to be filed electronically?

Thanks much for your assistance. This site and its members have truly been helpful

Thanks

1 A joint sponsor uses I-864 not I-864A.

2 Not a requirement to use all caps.

3 Yes you will be sending both, not sending Joint, will cause a delay, the joint is being used because the primary sponsor income is not enough, and yes email both.

4 I believe barcodes needed even for e process, the code should help identify case that the AOS are for.

do u think i need to afix the barcode and have it re scanned, or can i just scan the barcode and make it page 1 of this massive PDF?

do i send domicile evidence with my i-864 or does that come later?

I believe it is page one of the document, it acts as a cover sheet.

Yes you attach copy of domicile evidence to the I-864, Joint sponsor needs to attach proof of citizenship or permanent residency to their I-864.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-864JointSpCitRes.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-864Domicile.jpg

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

yep, got a full copy of my fathers passport as proof of his citizenship. Now i suppose i just got to figure out how to prove domicile. I own a house in the states, and have bills that go there, bank accounts, my drivers license is current, etc. But his PDF file alone is already 26mb.. Idk what the max their inbox can take is.. lol

yep, got a full copy of my fathers passport as proof of his citizenship. Now i suppose i just got to figure out how to prove domicile. I own a house in the states, and have bills that go there, bank accounts, my drivers license is current, etc. But his PDF file alone is already 26mb.. Idk what the max their inbox can take is.. lol

I believe the BIO page from passport is all that is needed to prove citizenship, see 19 of the I-864 instructions, I attached that to prior post.

As for domicile, a copy of deed on home is all that is needed from you.

Also to thin things up a bit, use IRS transcripts instead of full return, set scanner to grey scale, not color scanning, also some have a mode "Scan-For-The-Web" This lowers the resolution somewhat to reduce size for document uploading and hosting on websites.

hehe, im afraid im at the mercy of the copy shops scanning capabilities.. dont have my own scanner, but ill see if i can find some app to strip the color from these PDFs and strip out the unnecessary pages from his passport. Deed on the home is gonna be hard to get cause im in china. Perhaps a bunch of the other stuff.. or maby a printout from my counties property appraiser page that lists me as the owner.. idk..

• 2 weeks later...

on the i-864 item 25 first checkbox, I have filed the 2010 tax return, but have not filed 2009 or 2008 as i wasnt required to due to income level, do i still check the box stat states i have filed a tax return for the three most recent years and include a written statement as to why i didnt file for 2008 or 2009, or do i not check that box and include a written statement of why i did not file in 2008 or 2009?

Also some issues with part 4. I have maintained domicile in the US through bank accounts, internet accounts, all addressed to a home i own there where we intend to live however i am living in china with my wife... what should i put for 12 and 13?

also part 2 principal immigrant, on my fathers completed i-864 he lists the address of an appartment we still hold the lease to and will for the forseeable future, but we have since moved to another city in china, one of my wifes relatives is staying in our old appartment now, and we can recieve mail there, should i list the same address on my i-864 or the address where we are currently living for the principal immigrants address?

also i have become quite adept at manipulating PDF in linux including reducing size, attaching and seperating pages, etc, id like to post it somewhere if it may be useful to others, but im not sure where, if anyone has a good idea where i might post it.

I don't know anything at all about mb, etc., but I had a 55 page AOS file to send in for my AOS (financials), not including the I-864....I found that I could send in around 25 pages (it may have been 23) of documents and not go over the in-box limit. I used the AOS cover letter that you can print or have the NVC e-mail to you when you e-mail your AOS payment and it is approved. I put the AOS cover letter as page one on each AOS e-mail I sent.

The way you find out that you have exceeded the in-box limit is you will not get one of those immediate and automatic "bounce back" responce e-mails from the NVC when you hit "send" on your computer. You will not get an e-mail telling you your file is too large, just no responce e-mail like you do when your file makes it through.

I sent something like 5 e-mails just for the AOS section. It was no problem for the NVC or at the interview document intake day where you hand in the originals of the scanned documents. EP is just a formality procedure to make sure you have the proper documents. Interview document intake day is the reality. Just like when you have to scan in two passport photos onto a sheet of paper and send them in....they aren't going to use those scanned photos for a visa stamp, they will collect the real things at intake day.

Good luck

tsap seui

on the i-864 item 25 first checkbox, I have filed the 2010 tax return, but have not filed 2009 or 2008 as i wasnt required to due to income level, do i still check the box stat states i have filed a tax return for the three most recent years and include a written statement as to why i didnt file for 2008 or 2009, or do i not check that box and include a written statement of why i did not file in 2008 or 2009?

Also some issues with part 4. I have maintained domicile in the US through bank accounts, internet accounts, all addressed to a home i own there where we intend to live however i am living in china with my wife... what should i put for 12 and 13?

also part 2 principal immigrant, on my fathers completed i-864 he lists the address of an appartment we still hold the lease to and will for the forseeable future, but we have since moved to another city in china, one of my wifes relatives is staying in our old appartment now, and we can recieve mail there, should i list the same address on my i-864 or the address where we are currently living for the principal immigrants address?

also i have become quite adept at manipulating PDF in linux including reducing size, attaching and seperating pages, etc, id like to post it somewhere if it may be useful to others, but im not sure where, if anyone has a good idea where i might post it.

#12 the address you are currently living at, or that apartment your spouse still owns, but not living in so matches the address that joint sponsor listed.

#13 Your state side address, if claiming your Domicile in the states, then should call it your residence.

• 2 weeks later...

and about the checkbox about including the previous 3 tax years returns... i have a return for 2010, but i wasnt required to file due to income for 2009 or 2008, so do i just not check that and write a letter that states i wasnt required to file due to income, and sign it. I wasnt required to file for 2010 either but i did because i read somewhere on this forum that at least one tax return was needed, to help with domicile or something, idk

and about the checkbox about including the previous 3 tax years returns... i have a return for 2010, but i wasnt required to file due to income for 2009 or 2008, so do i just not check that and write a letter that states i wasnt required to file due to income, and sign it. I wasnt required to file for 2010 either but i did because i read somewhere on this forum that at least one tax return was needed, to help with domicile or something, idk

Income as in below minimum, or income from a foreign source?

MORE: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html

Keep in mind you may not have to pay federal income tax on foreign income below a set level ($80K or so), however are still required to file a 1040 return each year.

In many cases it is easier to late file returns showing small income than trying to convince the Visa Officer you did not have to file at all.

If you were a full time student those years without any income, then perhaps provide college transcript showing attending college those years will help.

Income as in below minimum, or income from a foreign source?

MORE: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html

Keep in mind you may not have to pay federal income tax on foreign income below a set level ($80K or so), however are still required to file a 1040 return each year.

In many cases it is easier to late file returns showing small income than trying to convince the Visa Officer you did not have to file at all.

If you were a full time student those years without any income, then perhaps provide college transcript showing attending college those years will help.

Income below minimum. I dont have any foreign income. Im not in the states, and i doubt i have sufficient records to even determine what my income was for the 2008 and 2009 tax years. So filing late for those years would be extremely inconvenient, if not completely impossible.

I-864 Instructions:

If you were required to file a Federal income tax return during any of the previous three tax years but did not do so, you must file any and all late returns with IRS and attach an IRSgenerated tax return transcript documenting your late filing before submitting the I-864 Affidavit of Support. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation.

If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law for any other reason, attach a written explanation including evidence of the exemption and how you are subject to it.

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

I-864 Instructions:

If you were required to file a Federal income tax return during any of the previous three tax years but did not do so, you must file any and all late returns with IRS and attach an IRSgenerated tax return transcript documenting your late filing before submitting the I-864 Affidavit of Support. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation.

If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law for any other reason, attach a written explanation including evidence of the exemption and how you are subject to it.

Yes, I understood that part. My question is about the checkbox that states i am attaching my last three years returns... do i simply not check that?