if its 7:01 pm., it must be Peter Frampton

knloregon

Heres a great I never caught as a young man. (not because I didn't want to) Thank God we had the opportunity last night, at the Oregon Zoo summer series. Usually, fairly white bread entertainment, but occasionally, some bigger names. Frampton caught us by surprise. This old Englishman, (not that old, my age.. ) so authentic, so tight, and so talented, that for him, improvisation on his various favorite axes, was sort of falling off a log ---- its the lack of talent (and discipline) that gave heavy metal a well deserved bad name. So, naturally, I was wondering how my wife might come to this music. She liked it ~ ! For that very reason ~ ! Creative improvisation, but from a very well trained musician. --- sad that Framption didn't really get his due in his prime time------(late 60's early 70's) that time when the best, most creative, most risky, most disciplined ---- were giving their voices, and their instruments to American Culture. Thankfully, there were many on hand of my generation --- who had a full understanding of what they were witnessing, and brought Frampton out of what seemed like an early funk. (he just divorced his third wife in June) --- (the place was packed, and the Oregon Zoo is a wonderful outdoor venue, particularly last night--- mid 70's clear skies

Because of the usual anal-retentive rules in Portland, the concert needed to be complete by 10:00 --- but Frampton wanted to play his whole traveling schedule --- which meant playing both sets without a break --- so when we arrived at 7:10 -----his wonderful music was already filling the venue-----on time----unheard of by Zoo Concert standards.

And talk about an ax-man who hasn't missed more than a small step!~ (God, 40 years out, I wish I could swim butterfly just a little less --- same as he can play!) --so three hours, essentially uninterrupted. Highlights: 'Show me the way', 'I'm in you' and 'Day In The Sun' among others.. much improve, ,including Framption's famous talk box, and absolutely classic supporting 'light show' ---as a backdrop ---- the color-mixing oil---water--- petre dish color storms-------and other beautiful graphics --- some refined, but none that were above the technology of the late 60's ----- brilliant from a fine arts standpoint!

He's touring, catch him if you have the opportunity ~!

Heres a great I never caught as a young man. (not because I didn't want to) Thank God we had the opportunity last night, at the Oregon Zoo summer series. Usually, fairly white bread entertainment, but occasionally, some bigger names. Frampton caught us by surprise. This old Englishman, (not that old, my age.. ) so authentic, so tight, and so talented, that for him, improvisation on his various favorite axes, was sort of falling off a log ---- its the lack of talent (and discipline) that gave heavy metal a well deserved bad name. So, naturally, I was wondering how my wife might come to this music. She liked it ~ ! For that very reason ~ ! Creative improvisation, but from a very well trained musician. --- sad that Framption didn't really get his due in his prime time------(late 60's early 70's) that time when the best, most creative, most risky, most disciplined ---- were giving their voices, and their instruments to American Culture. Thankfully, there were many on hand of my generation --- who had a full understanding of what they were witnessing, and brought Frampton out of what seemed like an early funk. (he just divorced his third wife in June) --- (the place was packed, and the Oregon Zoo is a wonderful outdoor venue, particularly last night--- mid 70's clear skies

Because of the usual anal-retentive rules in Portland, the concert needed to be complete by 10:00 --- but Frampton wanted to play his whole traveling schedule --- which meant playing both sets without a break --- so when we arrived at 7:10 -----his wonderful music was already filling the venue-----on time----unheard of by Zoo Concert standards.

And talk about an ax-man who hasn't missed more than a small step!~ (God, 40 years out, I wish I could swim butterfly just a little less --- same as he can play!) --so three hours, essentially uninterrupted. Highlights: 'Show me the way', 'I'm in you' and 'Day In The Sun' among others.. much improve, ,including Framption's famous talk box, and absolutely classic supporting 'light show' ---as a backdrop ---- the color-mixing oil---water--- petre dish color storms-------and other beautiful graphics --- some refined, but none that were above the technology of the late 60's ----- brilliant from a fine arts standpoint!

He's touring, catch him if you have the opportunity ~!

Great write up Kim, and lucky you. If he hasn't already done Pittsburgh maybe the lil' rabbit and I can see him this year. One of the things I look forward to is catching the masters at play, once again. :)

tsap seui

Sounds like a great concert for sure. Frampton came out of a group called Humble Pie if I am not mistaken. I saw him back in the late 70s after he had gone solo and played in Nashville. I remember he played a really long set back then as well and brought the house down with the song (I forget the name) that begins with "Woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand." I think it may be "Do You Feel Like I Do?" He played on the same bill that night with Edgar Winter and Mott the Hoople.