Bringing Ex-Spouse's Information for Interview

A friend of mine here is behind my wife and I in the Visa process, his wife is divorced.

In the Instructions that come with P4:

If this is not your first marriage, please bring in documents containing the following information for your interview: your ex-spouse's name, date of birth, social security number (if applicable), last known address and telephone number.

Is this aimed at the US petitioner or the Chinese beneficary specifically or both (depending on what is applicable)?

Do they ask for this information and does anyone know why? What if you do not have all the information?

Yes they do ask for this, even issuing a blue slip for it sometimes.

Term here on candle is EOR or Evolution Of Relationship letter, this letter should contain this information.

And yes for both petitioner and/or beneficiary.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38550-letter-explaining-my-divorce/page__view__findpost__p__514946

Dan, Thanks so this is where people interpret you need an EOR from? Really?

In my wife's and I case neither had been previously been married, have been living together in China and we never wrote an EOR.

In my friends' case, the one difference is his Chinese spouse was divorced. She was divorced from another Chinese national so there are no immigration benefit issues. Looking back at the I-130 and G-325A forms, that already asks for ex-spouse's names, DOB, and date of termination of marriage. So the new information is just present address and telephone number.

So my one additional question, has the consulate been know to contact Chinese national ex-spouse? Do they really want a telephone number? I am pretty sure my friend's wife still has knowledge of her ex-husband's whereabouts.

I will advise him to have an EOR ready for the interview though I recognize it would have been better front-loaded in the I-130.

Way back in the old days when we applied (2001-2003), they did not ask for any info on ex-spouses other than their names on the various forms. I am uncertain as to when they started requiring this. Maybe it is case by case, as someone stated.

I spoke with my friend some more last night. His wife had been divorced several years (I wasn't shure how long it had been) before they met. I could imagine a scenario where if GUZ thinks the divorce only happened so the beneficiary could marry for the immigration benefit they might investigate. I think this is highly unlikely in their case.