Rochester is best place in U.S. to buy a home

dnoblett

Saw this in the local paper this morning, though they fail to also indicate that one thing that has been causing many to move away is HIGH TAX, try property tax on a $120K home of $4,000+ per year. Have to live in the suburbs, the quality of the city schools leaves much to be desired (http://www.democrata...ate-worst-Big-4). Commuting is a plus with an average commute time of about 19 min.

The Rochester area is listed as the best place in the United States to purchase a home right now, according to Forbes.com.

The website of Forbes magazine cites several factors about Rochester, including proximity to colleges and universities, the affordability of homes, the unemployment picture compared to many parts of the nation, and the quality of local schools.

Forbes.com also quotes a recent study by the real estate website Zillow.com, which ranked the Rochester area the best place to buy a home in the U.S.

The Democrat and Chronicle, in a recent report on the region's real estate market, cited Rochester as one of the three most stable markets in the country among the 51 metro areas with populations over 1 million. That finding was based on home prices over the past 15 years. Oklahoma City and Pittsburgh were the other two.

Those cities also are at the top of the Forbes.com list. Rochester is No. 1, Pittsburgh is second and Oklahoma City fourth. Third is a much smaller community

in upstate New York, Utica.

Rounding out the top 10 are Tulsa, Okla.; Lincoln, Neb.; Raleigh, N.C.; Lancaster, Pa.; Little Rock, Ark., and Green Bay, Wis.

http://www.democrata...Forbes-com-says

http://www.forbes.co...a-home-now.html

http://www.forbes.com/2011/05/09/best-places-to-buy-a-home-now_slide_11.html

Been to Rochester several times. Nice city but I would not want to live there. I'll stick with my tax bill of $500.00 in my North Georgia mountain city.

You have that right, there is nothing downtown, every so often I have to work down town at the satellite college campus, use to go across the street to the shopping mall for lunch, no there is a crater there, and no decent downtown restaurants, parking costs $6+ per day working downtown. Also I would not want to live in many of the areas around the city, the homes are CHEAP for a reason, no-one wants to live in areas where they do not feel safe.

Been to Rochester several times. Nice city but I would not want to live there. I'll stick with my tax bill of $500.00 in my North Georgia mountain city.

You have that right, there is nothing downtown, every so often I have to work down town at the satellite college campus, use to go across the street to the shopping mall for lunch, no there is a crater there, and no decent downtown restaurants, parking costs $6+ per day working downtown. Also I would not want to live in many of the areas around the city, the homes are CHEAP for a reason, no-one wants to live in areas where they do not feel safe.

I used to go to work in a city named Fairport. You know of it?

I used to go to work in a city named Fairport. You know of it?

Know it well, I live about 3 miles from Fairport, my mother grew up in Fairport, and my father ran a Gas Station in that village.

Fairport is situated on the Erie Canal, and has the NY Central main line running through it, Main St crosses the canal and the RR at grade, so can be a pain driving through sometimes, either a train buzzing through, or when the canal is open, sometimes the bridge is up to allow boats to pass.

http://www.eriecanal.org/Fairport/bridge-west-up-1.jpg

The Main St Bridge in Fairport, in the UP position, quite an engineering marvel, it is level when up, however is slopped when down, each corner raises at a different rate.

Do they still drain the Eerie Canal in the winter?

Yepers in part, currently still closed from the Genesee in Rochester all the way to Albany, however from Bufallo to Rochester it is open for boating.

Should open in a week or so from now, they kept the east flood gates down at the Genesee valley park near the airport longer than normal this year due to the wet spring and above normal snow fall this winter.

http://www.nycanals.com/Main_Page

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP719554e7e67d489f9f54930a581b4d4f.html

Not sure "most stable" property prices is anything to crow about. Parents bought a house 40 years ago and yes, the price is very stable, to the point it's only appreciated 100% over 40 years. Then again, that's what you get for buying in cheap places like Irondequoit.

Wow,low taxes and on top of that, you ain't fer from Chatternooger..... B)

Axly I'm a fur peece from Chatternooger........over yonder in them northeast Gawga moununs.....pert neer that thar Chatooger river wheres they made that ol movie Deliverence. Taxes is low and youse can do what ya want with yer house.

Not sure "most stable" property prices is anything to crow about. Parents bought a house 40 years ago and yes, the price is very stable, to the point it's only appreciated 100% over 40 years. Then again, that's what you get for buying in cheap places like Irondequoit.

Keep in mind banking on capital gains is never a great idea, investing for cash flow IS. A home is not an asset it is a liability, investing in a home buy expecting to cash out a few years later and make a profit is not wise.

At least real-estate in the Rochester market does not loose value, but with the low gain in value there are better things to invest in that have a higher return on investment.

Irondequoit tends to be a retirement community, in the Rochester area.

Know it well, I live about 3 miles from Fairport, my mother grew up in Fairport, and my father ran a Gas Station in that village.

Met some mighty nice people there the few times that I worked there. I worked off of Perinton Pkwy. I liked Fairport as it seemed a peaceful, clean, and simple place. Just can't handle that cold weather there. Ya know people there thought that I tawk funny and I thought the same of them. What's up with that?

Axly I'm a fur peece from Chatternooger........over yonder in them northeast Gawga moununs.....pert neer that thar Chatooger river wheres they made that ol movie Deliverence. Taxes is low and youse can do what ya want with yer house.

Deliverence? Why I thaink that's thuh flik whut muh cuzin' Malvin wuz in. He played uh kid ona porch wif uh banjer..... Fowks sez me n him favor but I don't thaink so. Chatooger? You must be ovair next tuh Souf Carroliner. Is you wun uh them thar Clemson fowlks?

Deliverence? Why I thaink that's thuh flik whut muh cuzin' Malvin wuz in. He played uh kid ona porch wif uh banjer..... Fowks sez me n him favor but I don't thaink so. Chatooger? You must be ovair next tuh Souf Carroliner. Is you wun uh them thar Clemson fowlks?

Yassuh Iz bout 10 minits from thu Souf Carroliner berder. Nawsuh not one ofem Clemson folk. Theys flatlanders. You and cuzin Malvin come on over and set aspell when I gits mah shack finished.

Just got my tax assessment for this year. The assessment value hasn't changed but the tax went down to 417.00