Difference between Actual Birth Date and Date on Hukou

Another colleague here at work just got married and he was asking me about the DCF CR1 Visa Process.

We were talking about how to get a birth certificate and he brought up his wife's actual birthday is three years earlier than the date on her Houku. The month and date are correct.. He is not clear how that happened but it seems like it has been like that for a long time.

He is trying to determine what birthdate he should use for the immigration paperwork? Is there even a way to change this in China?

Any thoughts on the best way to handle this?

Another colleague here at work just got married and he was asking me about the DCF CR1 Visa Process.

We were talking about how to get a birth certificate and he brought up his wife's actual birthday is three years earlier than the date on her Houku. The month and date are correct.. He is not clear how that happened but it seems like it has been like that for a long time.

He is trying to determine what birthdate he should use for the immigration paperwork? Is there even a way to change this in China?

Any thoughts on the best way to handle this?

What do her passport and Chinese ID say?

It's not uncommon for it to be off by a few days or weeks. No reason to change it, as long as they're consistent and she's over 18 .

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I get the impression that this difference is from when she was very young. It might be as simple as her parents did not register her until she was 3.

My thought is to use the date you can document assuming as Randy said that passport/ID Card/Hokou all match.

I assume this will become her offical age in the US. Obviously, she becomes elgible for Social Secuirty three years later. I am not sure on her exact age but I know that my car insurance/rental it is better to be over 25. Other than that, being younger is probalby an advantage.