Need proxy

JimS.

They (China) seem to have proxies blocked - I don't mean just known proxies - ALL proxies (it's easy enough to do from the content of the IP message since it's not encrypted).

For VPN's, they need to know the actual IP's of the servers - which is easy enough to get simply by signing up for the service.

Yes - Witopia is still functional in China. Don't know about TOR or other services.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

They (China) seem to have proxies blocked - I don't mean just known proxies - ALL proxies (it's easy enough to do from the content of the IP message since it's not encrypted).

For VPN's, they need to know the actual IP's of the servers - which is easy enough to get simply by signing up for the service.

Yes - Witopia is still functional in China. Don't know about TOR or other services.

When I was there recently, I set the new wife up with a script that launches a SSH tunnel to either my system or my brother's here in the States. Then I configured Firefox to use it for all traffic, including DNS. So, all her web traffic is encrypted. If my brother's or my system got blocked for some crazy reason, the script could be changed to use any other IP or hostname.

Of course, if one had the skills and hardware, you could setup a VPN server here prior to leaving.

When I was there recently, I set the new wife up with a script that launches a SSH tunnel to either my system or my brother's here in the States. Then I configured Firefox to use it for all traffic, including DNS. So, all her web traffic is encrypted. If my brother's or my system got blocked for some crazy reason, the script could be changed to use any other IP or hostname.

Of course, if one had the skills and hardware, you could setup a VPN server here prior to leaving.

Yes - a private VPN server (or one from the office) would be the way to go. It would be virtually undetectable.

Yes - a private VPN server (or one from the office) would be the way to go. It would be virtually undetectable.

Big advantage of the VPN over even the SSH option is the application agnostic nature of it. Plus, no need to change settings on anything. Right now, the wife has to switch from proxy or no proxy on Firefox or any other program she uses. The far more ideal thing would be to just either login to the VPN or not. I'm going to look at what it would take to setup a VPNC server here at my house and my brother's house.

Big advantage of the VPN over even the SSH option is the application agnostic nature of it. Plus, no need to change settings on anything. Right now, the wife has to switch from proxy or no proxy on Firefox or any other program she uses. The far more ideal thing would be to just either login to the VPN or not. I'm going to look at what it would take to setup a VPNC server here at my house and my brother's house.

Wiopia is about $60 a year. I would think setting up your own would be a lot more expensive.

Wiopia is about $60 a year. I would think setting up your own would be a lot more expensive.

Guess how much Witopia pays for their VPN server software?

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm

They use an OpenSource VPN server, but the price is the same.

Seriously, if you don't mind setting up a VPN server at home and leaving it up and running at a dedicated IP, that's definitely the way to go. The Chinese Internet police won't notice and won't care!

What you pay for with Witopia is access to their network of servers which they maintain around the world (about 80 different locations)

It is really that simple?

Though I assume this would leave you open to this.

Access would be by account and password - don't go selling any subscriptions to anyone with a CCP card.

Just admit it, already! . . .

Guess how much Witopia pays for their VPN server software?

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm

They use an OpenSource VPN server, but the price is the same.

Seriously, if you don't mind setting up a VPN server at home and leaving it up and running at a dedicated IP, that's definitely the way to go. The Chinese Internet police won't notice and won't care!

What you pay for with Witopia is access to their network of servers which they maintain around the world (about 80 different locations)

For bonus points, you could try this:

1. Download and install Virtualbox: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

2. Download and unzip OpenVPNAS: http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/download-openvpn-as-vm.html

3. Configure Virtualbox to launch the downloaded appliance

4. Make sure to configure the virtual network device to be "Bridged" instead of "NAT"

5. From your router/gateway forward port 443 to the IP of the new appliance

6. Profit

Admittedly I'm not covering all the details here. However, total cost is Zero. It also has the advantage that if someone were to somehow compromise your VPN server, you can just delete the virtual machine and redownload it or revert to a previous snapshot if you took one. In short, no worries about security on it.