Moving to China need advice

Avs81

Hello everyone!

My wife and I will be leaving to Hangzhou to work there for the next 5 years or so and I had some questions about moving there. I will be leaving in July and my wife will follow a few months later after she gets her 10 year green card. I am also applying for an I-131 for 2 years so she will be okay to re-enter in the future. Oh, and one more thing we are moving to the West Lake district in Hangzhou.

1. Can I live comfortably with an annual salary of at least 200,000 RMB before taxes? And will I have to pay taxes while I'm in China?

2. Is it really that hard to live there with rent/AC/utility bills? I am pretty sure the money I make should be enough but my wife told me that living in Hangzhou isnt cheap. She asked her friends on 001 and they told her it can cost over 7,000 RMB a month there.

3. I will be bringing my xbox with me to china, should I take it as a carry on or place it in my suitcase? Also my wife wants to ship our desktop to china too so im not sure if thats okay...i know the shipping costs is gonna suck...also i know i need adapters i am bringing them too..

Thanks in advance for your advice/comments.

Bill and Wen

1. Check with IRS, you may be exempt from paying US taxes on foreign income up to a certain amount, 200,000 rmb may be under that amount.

2. No info

3. Check power supply on desktop PC, it may have a 110/220 switch on it, if so a simple adapter will make it work, also most computer monitors tend to have a power supply that works with 110 - 220 volts check the label. I would carry the X-Box in Carry on.

Warning, MUST file joint returns every year, if you don't, the green-card can be revoked. If living 5 years out of country, some simply give up the green-card and file for a new spouse visa when they ultimately plan on moving to the USA on a permanent basis. Too bad could not wait until after naturalization and citizenship, then no green-card to worry about.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Hello everyone!

My wife and I will be leaving to Hangzhou to work there for the next 5 years or so and I had some questions about moving there. I will be leaving in July and my wife will follow a few months later after she gets her 10 year green card. I am also applying for an I-131 for 2 years so she will be okay to re-enter in the future. Oh, and one more thing we are moving to the West Lake district in Hangzhou.

1. Can I live comfortably with an annual salary of at least 200,000 RMB before taxes? And will I have to pay taxes while I'm in China?

2. Is it really that hard to live there with rent/AC/utility bills? I am pretty sure the money I make should be enough but my wife told me that living in Hangzhou isnt cheap. She asked her friends on 001 and they told her it can cost over 7,000 RMB a month there.

3. I will be bringing my xbox with me to china, should I take it as a carry on or place it in my suitcase? Also my wife wants to ship our desktop to china too so im not sure if thats okay...i know the shipping costs is gonna suck...also i know i need adapters i am bringing them too..

Bill and Wen

You don't say if you are maintaining your US residence - that (and regular trips home) would most likely be key as to whether you can maintain her green card.

Yes, you pay taxes. They are paid for you every month, but must be reported by March of the following year. This may be handled for you as well - check with co-workers and your accounting department. The income must be reported on your US tax return as well, although up to $93,000+ may be excluded (you won't be paying any US taxes on it UNLESS the IRS finds out about it - if you FAIL to report it, they can deny the exclusion and charge you for the back taxes).

Here in Yulin, you can live pretty comfortably on 3000RMB per month WITHOUT rent/AC/utility bills, so the 7000 figure might be a good starting point

Check the devices you plan to bring for their power requirements - you may not need any adapters.

Hangzhou is a beautiful city with lots of stuff to do. Living there won't be cheap as it is one of China's most popular tourist towns. It's close proximity to Shanghai make it a favorite. The fast train is only an hour or so as I remember, but ,make sure you don't get on the ghetto train by mistake - it stops at each road crossing. Sometimes it stops just for the hell of it in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck with your stay.

Thanks for the advice, I didnt plan on using the train that much but thanks for the heads up about the fast train to Shanghai. I plan on doing that some day...

1. Check with IRS, you may be exempt from paying US taxes on foreign income up to a certain amount, 200,000 rmb may be under that amount.

I thought so, I checked the website and I think I have to be in China for 350 days out of the year to qualify for the exemption.

2. No info

3. Check power supply on desktop PC, it may have a 110/220 switch on it, if so a simple adapter will make it work, also most computer monitors tend to have a power supply that works with 110 - 220 volts check the label. I would carry the X-Box in Carry on.

your right the outlets there are 220v, i am getting the adapters that are made for my 110v desktop and Xbox. I hope the Xray machine wont do anything funky to the xbox...I was going to have my PS3 shipped along with my desktop at some point.

Warning, MUST file joint returns every year, if you don't, the green-card can be revoked. If living 5 years out of country, some simply give up the green-card and file for a new spouse visa when they ultimately plan on moving to the USA on a permanent basis. Too bad could not wait until after naturalization and citizenship, then no green-card to worry about.

Good advice, I plan on filing jointly as we always have been doing. This time sucks since she ahs to apply for the 10 year green card and wait for the biometrics and green card to arrive before she can come. I wish we could ship the green card to china but I dont think thats smart...

Hello everyone!

Bill and Wen

You don't say if you are maintaining your US residence - that (and regular trips home) would most likely be key as to whether you can maintain her green card.

Yes, you pay taxes. They are paid for you every month, but must be reported by March of the following year. This may be handled for you as well - check with co-workers and your accounting department. The income must be reported on your US tax return as well, although up to $93,000+ may be excluded (you won't be paying any US taxes on it UNLESS the IRS finds out about it - if you FAIL to report it, they can deny the exclusion and charge you for the back taxes).

Here in Yulin, you can live pretty comfortably on 3000RMB per month WITHOUT rent/AC/utility bills, so the 7000 figure might be a good starting point

Check the devices you plan to bring for their power requirements - you may not need any adapters.

Yes we will still have a USA residence, we are using my parents house for all of my mail and such. Thanks for the heads up with the taxes, I think I need to follow up with my HR dept for more info....

To maintain her green card I filed the I-131 for a 2 year re-entry permit then when we come back after 2 years she will stay behind and do the paperwork all over again. Then after the biometrics is done and we get the approval she will come back..I think we will only repeat this a couple times, I might want to find a better paying job back in the states by then..

[

Yes we will still have a USA residence, we are using my parents house for all of my mail and such. Thanks for the heads up with the taxes, I think I need to follow up with my HR dept for more info....

To maintain her green card I filed the I-131 for a 2 year re-entry permit then when we come back after 2 years she will stay behind and do the paperwork all over again. Then after the biometrics is done and we get the approval she will come back..I think we will only repeat this a couple times, I might want to find a better paying job back in the states by then..

This may not work the way you expect it to - to be safe, she would need to return every six months AND provide evidence of the US domicile. At least plan on returning once a year.

It may be simpler (and a LOT cheaper) to simply file a new I-130

Maintaining Permanent Residence

You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

• Move to another country intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.
  • Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.
  • Declare yourself a "nonimmigrant" on your tax returns.

Returning to or Rescinding Legal Permanent Resident Status -

If you intend to travel to the U.S. as a non-immigrant, you may wish to file an Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status Form I-407 to clarify your status. Former LPRs will usually be asked to execute this document and surrender their I-551 (green card) before being issued a non-immigrant visa. The I-407 can be executed on the same day as your non-immigrant visa interview before the interviewing Consular Officer.

I'm sure the above also applies when applying for an IR-1 visa after a long absence. The form I-407 clarifies your present status - if you have not attempted to use a previous green card, it may still be on record as being valid. In other words, when returning to the US after an extended absence but before the green card expiration date, your green card may still be on file as valid. The Immigrations Officer, however, may decline your entry and revoke your green card. To clarify the situation, you may wish to have your spouse file a new I-130, and file the I-407 to conclusively show abandonment of the green card.

Randy,

thanks for the input, I think I will file the I-131 for her so she will be okay for 2 years. I don't want to fly back to the US once every year, I would prefer to have her come here once every two years and re apply for the I-131 the next time around.

I dont want her to lose her green card since it will be very difficult to go back through that process again

This may not work the way you expect it to - to be safe, she would need to return every six months AND provide evidence of the US domicile. At least plan on returning once a year.

It may be simpler (and a LOT cheaper) to simply file a new I-130

I'm sure the above also applies when applying for an IR-1 visa after a long absence. The form I-407 clarifies your present status - if you have not attempted to use a previous green card, it may still be on record as being valid. In other words, when returning to the US after an extended absence but before the green card expiration date, your green card may still be on file as valid. The Immigrations Officer, however, may decline your entry and revoke your green card. To clarify the situation, you may wish to have your spouse file a new I-130, and file the I-407 to conclusively show abandonment of the green card.

I would add, that getting a second IR-1 spouse visa at the time you eventually do plan on returning to the USA permanntly should be a no brainier and no sweat, no denials. Getting a visit visa to the USA should be easy to, by surrendering the green-card, shows no intent to immigrate at the time of visit to the USA as a non-immigrant on a B-2 visa, would not make sense to surrender a green-card and then visit the USA as a non-immigrant shortly after surrendering the green-card.

I have seen others do this on VJ.

Why fight the system trying to maintain permanent residency status when in actuality you are not.

Randy,

thanks for the input, I think I will file the I-131 for her so she will be okay for 2 years. I don't want to fly back to the US once every year, I would prefer to have her come here once every two years and re apply for the I-131 the next time around.

I dont want her to lose her green card since it will be very difficult to go back through that process again

Note this is in fact what Randy and his wife living in China did, they gave up the green-card.

Applying for another in the future is not that difficult, if you are living in China simply file an I-130 to the DHS office in Beijing, the interview would them be set a couple months later in Guangzhou, it is not a 8-10 month ordeal like filing in the USA.

1. From having just done my taxes, I believe up to the first $91,000 in foreign income is excluded. However, making 200,000 RMB you may be subject to Chinese taxes. My employer helps both us expats and the locals with taxes so I am guessing your employer will as well.

3. What you are going to need is adaptors, you can buy them in China or do an internet search, you can buy a bunch before you leave. I bought a couple converters but I really don't use them that much. As Don said, most modern electronics come with a 110/220V 50/60 Hz transformer (US=110/60, China= 220/50). Most of the power strips in China also will take various plugs but it is good to have adaptors.

Depending on how addicted to coffee you are, the one thing I have had a hard time finding is a full size coffee maker. The one I bought is 2-4 cups. A full size coffee maker (like I brought from the States) takes a lot of power (Watts) and you can not find a converter rated for that many Watts. A Mr. Coffee coffee maker uses way more Watts than say a TV or a desktop computer.

The other thing - You may have a hard time finding clothes that fit if you are a US XL or bigger. You may need to bring those.

oh, okay well that's sounds like a good idea then. I thought it was really hard to start the whole process over again but I like that idea. I will talk it over with my wife.

Bill

1. From having just done my taxes, I believe up to the first $91,000 in foreign income is excluded. However, making 200,000 RMB you may be subject to Chinese taxes. My employer helps both us expats and the locals with taxes so I am guessing your employer will as well.

3. What you are going to need is adaptors, you can buy them in China or do an internet search, you can buy a bunch before you leave. I bought a couple converters but I really don't use them that much. As Don said, most modern electronics come with a 110/220V 50/60 Hz transformer (US=110/60, China= 220/50). Most of the power strips in China also will take various plugs but it is good to have adaptors.

Depending on how addicted to coffee you are, the one thing I have had a hard time finding is a full size coffee maker. The one I bought is 2-4 cups. A full size coffee maker (like I brought from the States) takes a lot of power (Watts) and you can not find a converter rated for that many Watts. A Mr. Coffee coffee maker uses way more Watts than say a TV or a desktop computer.

The other thing - You may have a hard time finding clothes that fit if you are a US XL or bigger. You may need to bring those.

Great advice, I'm addicted to coffee since i used to work 3rd shift so I will think about bringing a coffee maker with me.

I know what website I'm using for the adapters, they are cheap but the NTSC to PAL converters are at least $ 180 bucks for the good ones. Its that high since I need HDMI and my TV there will be at least 1080p.

I am going to follow up with my employer about my taxes in the AM, my boss is on vacation in Sydney so my answers are coming a little slower than I prefer...

And your dead on with the clothes, I will be buying pretty much a new wardrobe here before I go, my wife will buy her things there since its mostly her size...

Edited by Avs81 (see edit history)

oh, okay well that's sounds like a good idea then. I thought it was really hard to start the whole process over again but I like that idea. I will talk it over with my wife.

Bill

One more note, I-131 has many uses, yes for stays out of USA longer than a year, but normaly has to do with emergencies like caring for a sick family member, the POE officer can deny entry or consider greencard if they feel that you are not maintaining permanent residency in the states even with a reentry permit.

Great advice, I'm addicted to coffee since i used to work 3rd shift so I will think about bringing a coffee maker with me.

I know what website I'm using for the adapters, they are cheap but the NTSC to PAL converters are at least $ 180 bucks for the good ones. Its that high since I need HDMI and my TV there will be at least 1080p.

I am going to follow up with my employer about my taxes in the AM, my boss is on vacation in Sydney so my answers are coming a little slower than I prefer...

And your dead on with the clothes, I will be buying pretty much a new wardrobe here before I go, my wife will buy her things there since its mostly her size...

A 1000 watt transformer is 100RMB (the one in the picture is 2000 watts - not needed)

http://i49.tinypic.com/lw1ar.jpg

HDMI, component, DVI, PC, and composite connections do not need conversion. My US-spec VCR works just fine with just a transformer for power. 50 cycle current is just fine for most of our electronics (at the correct voltage, of course). I have a 2000 watt transformer for the coffee, and 2 - 1000 watt transformers for the computer and A/V equipment that I brought with me (scanner, router, VCR, etc.) that need it. Got burned by Dish network - the DVR works just fine, but, without a subscription, I'm unable to access (or unencrypt) the external USB drives where I have movies stored.