When mother becomes US Citizen...

Asking question for friend of my wife. She recently became US citizen and obtained her US passport. Now she wants to get US passport for her 8 year old son (US resident with green card). Is her son's US citizenship automatic based on her status?

She was told by passport agent at local post office that once she receives her passport, she can then get her son's. However, when I read the requirements for a child's passport, it clearly states you must provide evidence of the child's US citizenship. She doesn't have anything to reflect this. Shouldn't she have received certificate of naturalization for her son at the same time as she received hers?

Another issue I see is that both parents are required to consent for issuance of US passport. Does she need consent from the child's divorced and estranged father in China?

Thanks for any guidance available.

Yes child obtains citizenship automatically based on parent's citizenship however USCIS will not send a certificate of citizenship along with parent's cert. In order to get a cert for child an N-600 would need to be filed.

Anyway I have seen a few posts about applying for child's passport without the citizenship cert. Send mother's cert, along with birth cert showing biological relationship to mother, this proves citizenship.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/secondary_evidence/secondary_evidence_4315.html See secondary evidence of citizenship.

And no do not need permission of parent living in China, the dual parent permission has to do with child abduction prevention. If you adopted your step child, then would need your permission. Will need to show evidence of sole custody.

Note child passport may require visiting DOS in person, not by mail.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)