RFE: birth certificate (Notarial Certificate is not enough?!)

I filed for AOS 2 weeks ago and got my biometrics appointment letter 1 week ago and was happy that everything seemed to finally go well. However, yesterday Request for Initial Evidence appeared in our mailbox, requesting for "a copy of the applicant's foreign birth certificate issued by the appropriated civil authority" and its translation.

I have submitted my Notarial Certificate of Birth (the White Paper) with my application, under the impression that the white paper is all they need. I browsed others' posts here, and many indicate for Chinese citizens, submitting the Notarial Certificate is sufficient. On visajourney.com there are people who have been requested the birth certificate in foreign language but no one is Chinese. Now I am confused... Are they asking for my original birth certificate in Chinese?

The problem with my original birth certificate (medical certificate of birth)in Chinese is that it only has my mom's name on it... No name of me or my dad... (sounds totally legit, I know) Apparently that is how birth certificates looked like 20 some years ago!

I am going to call USCIS on Monday to ask for some clarifications and I might have to ask my parents to get notarized affidavits stating they are my parents... good times...

Anyone here had similar problem with Notarial Certificate of Birth?

Edited by lichenrachel (see edit history)

When adjusting we sent copy of my wife's notery cert and the English translation we got from notary office in China. "White Book" note it had a seal stamp from the office.

In some cases USCIS misplaces something and sends a request, simply send them another copy+Translation.

Agreee, I would just re-submit the "white paper with included translation"....many Chinese do not have a birth certificate as we understand it...but almost totally rely on family registration via the Hukou. I suspect all will be good. Best of Luck