Chinese City Names and Shames the Badly Behaved in Local Paper

My first year in China I taught at a university in Hefei, Anhui. Anyone who was found guilty of any infraction of the rules had their name and photo put on the central bulletin board, along with a description of their transgressions. Public shaming has long been a tradition in China, which is considered a harsh punishment considering how much emphasis the culture puts on saving "face."

My first year in China I taught at a university in Hefei, Anhui. Anyone who was found guilty of any infraction of the rules had their name and photo put on the central bulletin board, along with a description of their transgressions. Public shaming has long been a tradition in China, which is considered a harsh punishment considering how much emphasis the culture puts on saving "face."

So what were some of the transgressions that would cause them public shaming?

So what were some of the transgressions that would cause them public shaming?

Any infraction of campus rules, such as curfew violations, stealing, openly cheating on exams, etc. (cheating was generally tolerated, so long as it wasn't blatant.). One guy got caught using a long pole to steal several pairs of girls' underwear that were drying on a hanger in a dorm window. He was called up to the stage in an assembly of all students and his actions were read off as if in a trial. He was humiliated to say the least. Failure to attend Party functions was a big no no and if one missed said function, their name would be displayed on the bulletin board.