Carl's guitar project.

warpedbored

Yesterday and today I sprayed a total of 5 coats of nitro cellulose stringed instrument lacquer over a coat of vinyl sealer. I'll wait a few days then spray one last coat with a 50/50 mix of lacquer and reducer. After that I'll wait for 3 weeks, buff it out and begin the set up process, gluing the bridge on, installing the tuners, nut and saddle etc.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/m8fxub.jpg

Carl, as always I am just beside myself with your project. Besides following your progress While the cat is away, I have started watching TV at home, for the first time in 15 years. My TV experience of recent has just been in waiting rooms at the VA hospital, but now I am opened up to the world of Pawn Stars, American Restoration, etc etc and I see junk being bought and turned into better than new....I did that with houses, but theses guys are doing it with collectables and such.

I'm already hooked on the dern shows. Reading your explanations of what materials you used on the wood is really cool stuff. I can take any home...strip it down to the studs, move walls add walls, completely wire it, plumb it, trim it out, etc but I am out of my element and comfort zone with a project like yours. It's way over my head and like on the restorations I see on TV it fascinates me to no end. Your knowledge of how to take bare wood and bring out it's highest beauty with different techniques and materials is exciting stuff. I could only wish the TV shows spent more than a flicker of the camera on the guys who actually work the magic behind the scenes like you show us with photos and explanations of your project.

The minute intricacies of your project blows me away. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Now, when you play us a didy on that geetar I'd like to put in a request for the "Popeye" theme song. It ain't long but it's a finger bender...I used to watch a guitar player in one of the bands I was in warm up with that little diddy and it always cracked me up...lol He would start it off slow and keep it going faster and faster....lol

Great stuff Carl. That pile of lumber is turning out to be quite a nice geetar.

tsap seui

• Like 1

Yesterday and today I sprayed a total of 5 coats of nitro cellulose stringed instrument lacquer over a coat of vinyl sealer. I'll wait a few days then spray one last coat with a 50/50 mix of lacquer and reducer. After that I'll wait for 3 weeks, buff it out and begin the set up process, gluing the bridge on, installing the tuners, nut and saddle etc.

What do you mean wait?!? How can you wait?

Wanna play it now! Wah! :baby:

• Like 1

What do you mean wait?!? How can you wait?

Wanna play it now! Wah! :baby:

It is frustrating. Especially since until then I won't know if it will even be playable.

Oh, it'll play, And it'll play just right!

It's this thread that inspired me to begin my "Our Garden" thread.

Cause it ain't just about building a guitar or a garden, it's about

having the peace of mind, albeit fleeting at times, to undertake

a project that projects who you are. And our Chinese wives add

a balance, sometimes tenuous at best, to our lives.

Anyway, beautiful work Carl and a wonderful expression of YOU!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I sprayed the last coat of lacquer on it last Monday. It takes 3 weeks for the lacquer to cure enough to buff out. Right now I'm in the process of building a buffer. I bought some 12 inch buffing wheels from LMI and a portable shaft from Grizzly tools. I friend gave me a 1725 RPM 1/2 HP motor and I'm looking for a couple of pulleys. I need a 2" OD pulley with a 5/8" bore and 4.5" pulley with 7/8" bore so I can step down the RPM to about 750 RPMs. If it's too fast it will burn through the lacquer.

I sprayed the last coat of lacquer on it last Monday. It takes 3 weeks for the lacquer to cure enough to buff out. Right now I'm in the process of building a buffer. I bought some 12 inch buffing wheels from LMI and a portable shaft from Grizzly tools. I friend gave me a 1725 RPM 1/2 HP motor and I'm looking for a couple of pulleys. I need a 2" OD pulley with a 5/8" bore and 4.5" pulley with 7/8" bore so I can step down the RPM to about 750 RPMs. If it's too fast it will burn through the lacquer.

Is there nothing you can't do?

:worthy:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week I decided to spray another 2 coats of lacquer on the top of my guitar. This will set me back another 2 weeks while I'm waiting for it to cure. Today I built a buffing wheel. A buffing system from Stewmac.com is $626.00 with the machine, 4 buffing wheels and two grades of buffing compound. I bought 4 buffing wheels form LMI, $62.00, a portable shaft from Grizzly tools, $50.00. 2 grades of buffing compound from LMI, $48.00. My friend and co-worker Pete gave me a 1/2 HP motor. I had some scrap plywood laying around my shop and robbed the drive belt off of my lathe. Total cost $160.00

http://oi41.tinypic.com/egx3dj.jpg

Last week I decided to spray another 2 coats of lacquer on the top of my guitar. This will set me back another 2 weeks while I'm waiting for it to cure. Today I built a buffing wheel. A buffing system from Stewmac.com is $626.00 with the machine, 4 buffing wheels and two grades of buffing compound. I bought 4 buffing wheels form LMI, $62.00, a portable shaft from Grizzly tools, $50.00. 2 grades of buffing compound from LMI, $48.00. My friend and co-worker Pete gave me a 1/2 HP motor. I had some scrap plywood laying around my shop and robbed the drive belt off of my lathe. Total cost $160.00

http://oi41.tinypic.com/egx3dj.jpg

OK, now you're starting to piss me off! :headbang:

I can't just up and leave man.

Gettin' close but not yet.

Quit toying with me!

• Like 1

OK, now you're starting to piss me off! :headbang:

I can't just up and leave man.

Gettin' close but not yet.

Quit toying with me!

I promise not to spray anymore Steve. I'm anxious too.