Carl's guitar project.

warpedbored

It's far from perfect, there are some mistakes but none very noticeable. For a first build it's coming along pretty well. I'm going to keep it and play the hell out of it. I plan on building at least 4 more guitars. Next up is a Bolivian Rosewood copy of a 1929 Martin Orchestra Model. It's going to be a gift for my best friend. After that will be a Martin dreadnought out of Birdseye Maple, another OM out of curly maple.and last a J-200 style Walnut guitar similar to the one I'm building now.

I think once I get this one under my belt I can build them a lot faster. I won't have to be as timid about taking the next step. I think I could build 2 or 3 a year. Do you play acoustic much Charles? I might be open to letting you take one to play with for a while to see what you think.

I think once I get this one under my belt I can build them a lot faster. I won't have to be as timid about taking the next step. I think I could build 2 or 3 a year. Do you play acoustic much Charles? I might be open to letting you take one to play with for a while to see what you think.

I play mainly elcetric guitar and bass guitar. But I have played many accoustics through my time. I currently own a pretty nice Ovation but don't play it too much, just whenver I get a job to play it.

I would certainly give it a try.. A good accoustic guitar is great to play. I think yours fit that bill. Let me know.

Tolerances for fret spacing have to be within two thousands of an inch for tone accuracy.

Hole locations on an F-16 vary within 0.004 in any direction, translating to .008 from the lower mating hole, for removable doors that is. They line drill for permanant structure, but if they ever have to make a new skin for an old plane, they have a very dificult time trying to match the frame hole locations. Even some newer planes have computer robots drilling holes and guess what? You can't put one piece of skin from one plane to the next without some hand fitting and drilling. Holes don't line up.

Point is Carl, your doing a dang good job there, :D

Tolerances for fret spacing have to be within two thousands of an inch for tone accuracy.

Doug is right Carl, You have done a tremendous job here and someone like myself who loves to do woodworking, I would have never taken up a project like this.

Growing up and teaching myself to play the guitar was an ambition that I always wanted to do and I was able to do this early on in my teens. I also taught myself how to tune my guitar by “ear”.

I take my son to violin lessons and the instructor who is a Doctor of Musical Arts or has a doctorial academic in music (Ph.D. in music :smartass: ) has many years of practice which allows him to pick up almost any instrument and start playing.

I have watched him from afar when he picks up my son’s violin and will tune it by ear. :violin4: If he will be accompanying him on a piano, he will tune the first string with the piano and do the rest by ear. Several of you know that violin frets are put on with stickers and it’s a tricky process, especially compared to guitars. Which gets me back to the first subject – Guitar tuning. :romeojuliet:

Tuning a guitar can actually be easy but you do have to have a knack for it not only having some experience but actually having an ability to distinguish between musical notes. :sweating_buckets: It’s been a while since I actually picked up a guitar and played but it’s like riding a bicycle, you never really forget but the older you get the less balance you have. If you practice and play all the time you really never lose your balance.

Have you ever heard someone singing with head phones on and it sounds terrible? This is called monotone or “monophony”. :whistling: They are not tone deaf but just horrible singers like me. There are several notes or tones and with these people that they don’t change in the musical texture and keep it on the same note and if you are sitting next to that person you want to pull their headphones off :shutup: and tell them how bad they sound.

Do you know how many people in the world are tone deaf? We will get back to this one later, but take the 6 minute and see if you can test your musical skills. I did and made a 73. You will be surprised on how you mind and ears can play tricks on you, especially if you have musical expertise.

Oh yea, getting back to how many people are actually tone deaf – only 4% of the general population are actually tone deaf.

Now what did you say? :P

Edited by Urkidding (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dr. J. Bevil is my son’s violin teacher. We are so fortunate to have him teaching our son and having a Chinese wife who gives him 100% approval makes it even better. There is a line Chinese momma’s in our community who want him as their kids teacher.

I ran across this piece in YouTube where Dr.Bevil is playing a musical instrument that he made himself. After discussing the video with him he explained to me that this is a Crwth instrument that was very popular in Walsh Scotland. Its has used in Wales since the Roman times.

Anyone with a Scottish background may be familiar with the sound (Gaelic) of this instrument.

As a side note, the doctor showed me a website (Score Exchange) in which scores of music has been uploaded and shared be him and others that they made. I never heard of it until today! I posted a score from a Chinese girl playing her guitar. Even comes with the music.

Enjoy!

Do you know how many people in the world are tone deaf? We will get back to this one later, but take the 6 minute and see if you can test your musical skills.

I took it again today when I was less tired and got a 75.

It's definitely a test of concentration also. I also got a 75.

I got a 75, and I thought I was tone deaf.

I can't carry a tone in a bucket, but perhaps thats voice, not ears ..

• 3 weeks later...

The fret board is radiused and I glued on the head stock veneer. I'm ready to cut the dovetail mortise and tenon to join the neck to the body. Tonight I played around with using mother of pearl dots designed for the side of the fret board rather than the top. The figure of the ziricote is too beautiful to put big inlays in, I got this idea from a guitar I saw at a musical instrument show. The small dots towards the bass side of the neck up through the 12th fret then on treble side op through the 19th fret. I think it looks pretty cool.

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2hzqnpz.jpg

• Like 1