Of-169 list of things needed

Hi friends,

NOA2 received, waiting on packet from NVC, I'm wanting to get a head start on gathering some of the items that will be needed. I found an Of-169 form online (I'm assuming that will be in the packet she receives from NVC), and it lists, among other things, a "police certificate" which I guess lists any arrests or other police actions with regard to my spouse. A couple of questions:

1. Am I getting ahead of myself? Did you all have to gather this report? (maybe I'm assuming it will be asked for and it really won't be);

2. If it is standard, do you know what it's called in Chinese? I suppose it's one of those "white books" (¹«Ö¤Ê飩like the ones we got for evidence of bona fide.

Everything else on the list (Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, photographs) makes sense, just not sure about this "police certificate"

thanks for the help, as always. Any hints as to how to make sure I do this right will be appreciated (lessons learned, etc.). Should I have her go to the US Embassy in Shenyang and talk to them just to make sure she understands exactly what is needed? (she doesn't speak English and my Chinese is intermediate; sometimes I struggle communicating formal material like this)

Tim

Spouse can get a report of no convictions at local PSB, and then get it translated at the notary office, sometimes they are in the same location.

Police Records

Generally available, reliable. Persons should apply for a certificate of no criminal record at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) (or certain types of employers such as state owned enterprises), then make application to the notary office for a certificate based on the PSB document. Persons without a criminal record will be able to obtain a certificate to that effect. Certificates for individuals with one or more criminal convictions will list all convictions for which records still exist. The certificates purport to reflect all criminal convictions during residence in China.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_4881.html?cid=3537

Not getting ahead, they are valid for 1 year, so may as well get it now for when NVC requests documents.

MORE:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

You will be scanning these things, if your spouse can do this over in China and then email this stuff to you, you can then have ready to email to NVC when the time comes. Scanned stuff needs to be in PDF format.

Spouse can get a report of no convictions at local PSB, and then get it translated at the notary office, sometimes they are in the same location.

Police Records

Generally available, reliable. Persons should apply for a certificate of no criminal record at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) (or certain types of employers such as state owned enterprises), then make application to the notary office for a certificate based on the PSB document. Persons without a criminal record will be able to obtain a certificate to that effect. Certificates for individuals with one or more criminal convictions will list all convictions for which records still exist. The certificates purport to reflect all criminal convictions during residence in China.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_4881.html?cid=3537

Not getting ahead, they are valid for 1 year, so may as well get it now for when NVC requests documents.

MORE:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

You will be scanning these things, if your spouse can do this over in China and then email this stuff to you, you can then have ready to email to NVC when the time comes. Scanned stuff needs to be in PDF format.

thanks this is GREAT information. Loved this: "According to a 1957 state council ruling that is still in force, the imposition of a re-education through labor (Lao Dong Jiao Yu) term does not result from a criminal conviction."

My wife and her family were sent for re-education through labor during the Cultural Revolution because her parents, as high school teachers, were of the intellectual class. Nice to know this isn't on her record as a criminal conviction...

I would be getting all the things that NVC will need gathered up now, no waiting, you are past NOA2.

Study the electronic process guide.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37703

OF-169 is a good list of stuff that NVC will require, though NVC wont need the OF-169 form itself, that form is used at the consulate for K-Visas, and (Spouse visas filed DCF)

I would be getting all the things that NVC will need gathered up now, no waiting, you are past NOA2.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37703

OF-169 is a good list of stuff that NVC will require, though NVC wont need the OF-169 form itself, that form is used at the consulate for K-Visas, and (Spouse visas filed DCF)

Is electronic processing something I sign up for (or does she)? And can it be done now, or do we wait for the packet from NVC?

http://candleforlove...showtopic=37703

Is electronic processing something I sign up for (or does she)? And can it be done now, or do we wait for the packet from NVC?

Study the thread above, you email NVC Opting into the process, it will save you months off the processing time.

This is the list from one of the links:

•  
  • Birth Certificates
  • Court and Prison Records
  • Deportation Documentation
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Marriage Termination Documentation
  • Military Records
  • Petitioner Documents
  • Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page
  • Photographs
  • Police Certificates
  • Adoption Documentation

I have a few questions on this:

1. I would assume for CR1, the marriage and divorce documents that were included in the I-130 are accepted as already provided?

2. The passport photo was provided with the G-325a. Do they want more sent?

3. Photocopy of passport bio page. This seems a change from some years ago since I thought one didn't need the passport until the interview. Now it seems the applicants need it for NVC?

1 no, you need to scan and send to NVC, don't assume they got a copy with petition

2 no passport photos needed by NVC will need at interview

3 yes need to send photo copy of BIO page

I'm probably 2 to 3 months from my k-1 NOA2 (P2), but I downloaded and studied the OF-169.

Near the bottom of the form is a line for "case number".

Questions:

2. What is the case number? What does it look like (what prefix?). I saw mention of GUZ and GZO numbers. Which is it for k-1?
  3. When and where do I get assigned this case number?

I'm hoping to fill out the DS-230 and OF-169 on my computer, print them out, then EMS to my fiancee to sign and mail to Guangzhou consulate when the time comes, so I'm trying to gauge the turnaround time required for this part of the process.

Thank you

I'm probably 2 to 3 months from my k-1 NOA2 (P2), but I downloaded and studied the OF-169.

Near the bottom of the form is a line for "case number".

Questions:

2. What is the case number? What does it look like (what prefix?). I saw mention of GUZ and GZO numbers. Which is it for k-1?

3. When and where do I get assigned this case number?

I'm hoping to fill out the DS-230 and OF-169 on my computer, print them out, then EMS to my fiancee to sign and mail to Guangzhou consulate when the time comes, so I'm trying to gauge the turnaround time required for this part of the process.

Thank you

It will be GUZ number, it will be assigned by NVC shortly adter NOA2, you can find this out by calling NVC or DOS visa services.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/about/how/how_1463.html

GZO numbers are only assigned to I-130 petitions when petitioner contacts NVC by email and opts in to electronic processing. I-129F cases do not qualify so get GUZ case numbers.

What many do is contact NVC for case number, and then wait a month or 2 and then call DOS visa service for status on a weekely basis, once informed that consulate had mailed out P3 they mail DS230 and OF169 to consulate before receiving P3.

It will be GUZ number, it will be assigned by NVC shortly adter NOA2, you can find this out by calling NVC or DOS visa services.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/about/how/how_1463.html

GZO numbers are only assigned to I-130 petitions when petitioner contacts NVC by email and opts in to electronic processing. I-129F cases do not qualify so get GUZ case numbers.

What many do is contact NVC for case number, and then wait a month or 2 and then call DOS visa service for status on a weekely basis, once informed that consulate had mailed out P3 they mail DS230 and OF169 to consulate before receiving P3.

Thank you Dan, your reply and NVC link are helpful!