Hello, need help with visa...inexperienced

Whats the advantage of getting married in China vs the K1 fiance visa? Don't both visas take 5+ months to get approved?

Keep in mind K-1 is an option that is primarily for situations where it would be difficult if not impossible to marry in the foreign country for reasons like Age (Some countries prevent marriage until age 25 or so), and secular rules preventing marriage outside one's faith. The K-1 allows getting married in the USA where these restrictions do not apply.

K-1 may give you a visa is a slightly shorter time, perhaps a month or so, when factoring in the paperwork at NVC.

Compare:

K-1 (FEES ~$1800)

K-1 cannot take a job until getting EAD or Green-card, this can take MONTHS after arrival

K-1 cannot get a DL until they have EAD or Green-card, can use foreign DL in most states though.

K-1 becomes land locked and cannot travel out of the USA until having green-card or AP doc, which can take MONTHS to get.

CR-1 (FEES ~$900)

CR-1 gets green-card the moment they arrive in the USA so can take a job immediately

CR-1 gets green-card so can apply for a DL

CR-1 gets green-card so can immediately travel, conceivable the next day, passport is stamped I-551 which allows work and travel

Essentially K-1 visa holder will be unable to work for at least 4-6 months after arrival.

IF work shortly after arrival is desired, then the better visa is CR-1, (marry first, then apply for visa) CR-1 spouse visa costs less and gets green-card upon arrival to the USA, also with much improved processing, for most consulates CR-1 tends to take perhaps 1 - 1.5 months longer to get than a K-1.

CR-1 does not take much longer to get than a K-1

2) My wife lived in a dorm for her work, however her home address was her mother's place, and that is the address we used.

Dan,

What address(es) did you use on her G-325a under "Applicant's residence last five years"? Did you list her dorm address as one of the entries or did you use her mother's address throughout?

Thank you!

2) My wife lived in a dorm for her work, however her home address was her mother's place, and that is the address we used.

Dan,

What address(es) did you use on her G-325a under "Applicant's residence last five years"? Did you list her dorm address as one of the entries or did you use her mother's address throughout?

Thank you!

Mother's address through out, the dorm was much like a hotel, a temporary address, my wife's home was always her mother's home. The School/work was in a town about 40km from her home, and she spent breaks and most weekends at her home.

Dan,

Thank you!

Mother's address through out, the dorm was much like a hotel, a temporary address, my wife's home was always her mother's home. The School/work was in a town about 40km from her home, and she spent breaks and most weekends at her home.

Dan,

That's very reassuring. We interpreted "Applicant's residence" as "mailing address" as well.

Thank you

There is no HINT of fraud in anything you are doing.

Even though I'm Chinese, I'm an American citizen

Sorry to deflate any enthusiasm... this has been shown in the past to create problems. My advice is to tread carefully.

Can you explain what are the potential problems?

It's a problem because I'm Chinese? I can't even marry a person from my own country?

Can you explain what are the potential problems?

It's a problem because I'm Chinese? I can't even marry a person from my own country?

You can marry anyone you want from any country, in their country. Nobody can control your decision or desire to marry.

The government can control if that person is allowed into the US.

I have noticed very sporaic handling of USCs of chinese origin petitioning for chinese... Don't you see the possible questions for GUZ, who is trying to control what chinese get into the country? Maybe just how you meet is their main concern.

Maybe I should not make too much of it. Everyone has to face the same process. The best anyone can do is try and truly subjectively evaluate their case and make it as solid as possible.