help with filing taxes jointly (she's still in China)

David it's the giant monster megabank syndrome. They are out to see what they can screw you over on. You need more of a hometown bank that appreciates your business or even join a credit union where you become one of the owners. Then you will be able to deposit the check. Try and go set up a new account with one of these banks I described and tell them the tax check will be coming and ask if they will take it.

I understand that is going on... but I'm not going to play any games just to leverage this one-time issue. It's not just the banking system which has us bend over grabbing our ankles; it's the government, industry, media, education system, etc. It's our way of life

Wasn't it the Patriot Act that started all this crap?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It comes up around this time of year, but I don't remember anyone having so much trouble cashing the check that they would have to resort to filing separately. Some have filed singly. Incidentally, the instructions say to include her SSN or ITIN, UNLESS she does not have one and is not required to have one (you're cool there).
The tax code agent seemed to say that filing single was 'wrong'... I didn't press the issue concerning what she really meant by that; but If your going to file in such a way which later requires an amendment, then may as well file as close to correct as possible; Married.

Yes, I caught no need for the SSN or ITIN since she is not required of her. But I have a few personal reasons I will send it in anyways.

1. I can't amend until she is here anyways. By the time she is here, I don't want to wait for an ITIN since it can be used for other reasons to put her on some account, etc.

2. I don't want to file the ITIN with the amendment just so the IRS have one less thing to process and sync up. I heard filing the ITIN will delay the processing overall, so I would rather my original (when she is not here) is delayed than delay the amendment (when she is here). I can already hear her asking why the amendment takes so long... got to think ahead.

Took me a month and a half David...start of ITIN, amended tax returns to finish. Got my amended tax return transcripts 2 days ago.

tsap seui

Ok... despite some success stories on the internet getting their banks to "let it slide" by on a deposit, the Bank of [no service] America said to forget it. They all but said you can tear up your refund check or use it as TP

I talked through 3 levels of IRS and got through to a legal tax code person. Long story short, they said the safest thing to do is to file as: Married filing separately. I asked if I can amend it later to be as Married filing jointly to realize the refund difference lost and they said 'yes'.

So... If I file, Married filing separately:

- No need for ITIN #

- No need for power of attorney (form 4838)

- No need to stipulate her as a nonresident to be considered a resident (Publication 15)

- No need for form 2555 to exclude her income

- No need for a check with two names

- No need for Bank of America to show the slightest understanding

I can amend later if I want and then I'll need to do most of the above.

Honestly, this situation is apparent to many, many people for many, many years. I am surprised to never hear of it being raised; or I didn't pay attention.

Sorry About that David, I must have got lucky. btw I use a small local bank.

Ok... despite some success stories on the internet getting their banks to "let it slide" by on a deposit, the Bank of [no service] America said to forget it. They all but said you can tear up your refund check or use it as TP

I talked through 3 levels of IRS and got through to a legal tax code person. Long story short, they said the safest thing to do is to file as: Married filing separately. I asked if I can amend it later to be as Married filing jointly to realize the refund difference lost and they said 'yes'.

So... If I file, Married filing separately:

- No need for ITIN #

- No need for power of attorney (form 4838)

- No need to stipulate her as a nonresident to be considered a resident (Publication 15)

- No need for form 2555 to exclude her income

- No need for a check with two names

- No need for Bank of America to show the slightest understanding

I can amend later if I want and then I'll need to do most of the above.

Honestly, this situation is apparent to many, many people for many, many years. I am surprised to never hear of it being raised; or I didn't pay attention.

Nothing to be sorry about. Everyone's journey is their own. Mine is Bank of America... seeminly un-American Or maybe I should say, their pedantic, lack of empathic understanding is American Big Business

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

Nothing to be sorry about. Everyone's journey is their own. Mine is Bank of America... seeminly un-American Or maybe I should say, their pedantic, lack of empathic understanding is American Big Business

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/personal-finance-credit/bank-america-may-be-next-subject-wikileaks-embarra/nFhG/

This is from the consumer guru based in Atlanta, Clark Howard.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/personal-finance-credit/bank-america-may-be-next-subject-wikileaks-embarra/nFhG/

This is from the consumer guru based in Atlanta, Clark Howard.

A reminder to not think that "life" is life as we think....