Bringing family members from China

When I submitted my wife's petition I held back on her son's. He is 14 and wants to come to the US at the end of Middle School. I thought I could submit his at a later time. However I have been told there are specific guidelines to follow.

Since hers has already been approved, what should I do now if I have done this process in error? Should I mail out her sons petition as soon as possible? The idea is someone told me it is best to have them at the Visa interview at the same time otherwise problems might arise.

Edited by Lucky °®ÈË (see edit history)

When I submitted my wife's petition I held back on her son's. He is 14 and wants to come to the US at the end of Middle School. I thought I could submit his at a later time. However I have been told there are specific guidelines to follow.

Since hers has already been approved, what should I do now if I have done this process in error? Should I mail out her sons petition as soon as possible? The idea is someone told me it is best to have them at the Visa interview at the same time otherwise problems might arise.

No, you're fine. As long as your step-son was under 18 at the time you got married, you can file an I-130 for him up to the age of 21. If he had been 18 or over, then your wife would have to file - this would take 5 to 10 years.

BE SURE that either you or your wife can be there (at the consulate - you won't be allowed to attend the actual interview) the day of the interview - I saw a kid denied because neither of his parents were there.