Official Copies of the "white books"

As the title of the post makes clear, I'm wondering if my fiancee will need to buy extra copies of the following documents issued by the Gong Zheng Chu: police report, birth certificate, "single" certificate. I read in some previous posts about others buying as many as 3 copies of each of these! I was assuming one of each would be sufficient. Am I wrong here? Can we not hold onto the one original and make photocopies as necessary at different times down the road? We are filing the K-1 right now so I do realize it's a LONG road, but obviously the single certificate will be meaningless soon and the police report expires after 6 or 12 months as well (can't remember exact expiration date off the top of my head). Anyway, if anyone could tell me whether she really needs extra official copies that would be very valuable information. Thanks!

Get one extra copy of birth cert and english translation will be needed later in the USA for applying for SSN, AOS, banking, DL, marriage license, etc..

Only one each needed for visa interview. One birth cert, one police cert, and one single cert.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Thanks all. Guess we'll be going back for at least one more copy ...

I have one other question and I know it doesn't really belong here in this post as it's quite unrelated to white books, but I was curious as to when I could expect hearing from GZ that they received the P-3 and have everything they need from us to schedule my fiancee's interview. The reason I'm a little worried about it is because when I sent the P3 at the end of December, in my haste I forgot to include a copy of my fiancee's passport's bio page. Brilliant! I got a text message from EMS that my package arrived in GZ 12/29 - I was pretty excited about that until a few days later when I realized my mistake. I sent a message to the Consulate using the email messaging system on their website but still (6 days later) haven't heard back from them about how I should send in her bio page. I decided not to wait any longer and wrote up a short letter with all relevant case information as well as a copy of the DS-230 Part 1 that was part of the original P3 submission and of course then a copy of the passport bio page. EMS notified me that that second submission was received on Jan 5.

I'm a little worried about whether they will kindly and simply ADD the bio page to my fiancee's file or if they will reject that kind of supplement. If sending in the bio page that way is NOT okay, will they let me know or will I just be waiting and waiting with no word? If it IS okay, when should I expect to get an email from the Consulate that all has been received and she's eligible for an interview appointment?

Give the consulate or anyone else photocopies. It's a good idea to have two originals in case someone asks for one.

At the time the medical center would package the interview documents in the medical packet to bring into interview, the took covers off the white books and stuffed the original certificates into the package.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have the latest feedback as to how "ORIGINAL" documents are handled before, during, and after the interview?

i.e

Original Petitioner Passport for Interview as well as copies provided

Original Petitioner Birth Certificate for Interview as well as copies

Original Birth Certificate (Chinese and English translations)

We didn't get Certified copies of her Birth Certificate. Only the Chinese and English translation. Do these get returned?

Or can I provide copies at Document Hand-In and show originals at the interview?

Can I/or have you provided your (the petitioner's) passport of BC for interview and gotten them back? I was going to use them with the I-129F copy that my fiance (the Beneficiary) is to provide. But I need them back.

I am still a little concerned/confused as to documents handed in on the first day (those requested specifically in OF-169) and then those used during the interview.

Are VOs requesting the applicant to present documents that were handed in the day before?

Does anyone have the latest feedback as to how "ORIGINAL" documents are handled before, during, and after the interview?

i.e

Original Petitioner Passport for Interview as well as copies provided

Original Petitioner Birth Certificate for Interview as well as copies

Original Birth Certificate (Chinese and English translations)

We didn't get Certified copies of her Birth Certificate. Only the Chinese and English translation. Do these get returned?

Or can I provide copies at Document Hand-In and show originals at the interview?

Can I/or have you provided your (the petitioner's) passport of BC for interview and gotten them back? I was going to use them with the I-129F copy that my fiance (the Beneficiary) is to provide. But I need them back.

I am still a little concerned/confused as to documents handed in on the first day (those requested specifically in OF-169) and then those used during the interview.

Are VOs requesting the applicant to present documents that were handed in the day before?

IF petitioner is in Guangzhou for the interview, then fiancee or spouse can hand carry their passport into the interview as a way to show petitioner is in fact in China, however it is NOT required at the interview.

As for birth cert, can turn in the certificate at document turn in so that the interviewing officer can compare it with the copy sent to USCIS with the I-129F, Petitioner's BC is for proof OF US Citizenship, If was not born in the USA some other evidence of US citizenship would be provided, NAT CERT, Copy of passport, or Cert of birth abroad. They should return the "original" at the interview, and not keep it.

As for Chinese birth cert, it is best to get 2 or perhaps 3 at the Notary office along with translations, it WILL be needed later in the states, when adjusting status, as well as applying for other things like SSN etc. (In our case we gave the consulate one of the original berth certs.)

Visit Notary office and get additional copies.

As for the I-129F petition filing Send ordinary photo copies of documents to USCIS, they do not need to be certified copies.