China Bans English in Chinese Lang. Publications

Interesting. Now your name and IBM will have to translated in every Chinese language publication to "prevent abuse" of the Chinese language.

Such practices "severely damaged the standard and purity of the Chinese language and disrupted the harmonious and healthy language and cultural environment, causing negative social impacts," --- whoever taught the leaders the word harmonious should be shot.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101222/lf_afp/lifestylechinamedialanguage_20101222170218

Edited by shenzhen (see edit history)

Interesting. Now your name and IBM will have to translated in every Chinese language publication to "prevent abuse" of the Chinese language.

Such practices "severely damaged the standard and purity of the Chinese language and disrupted the harmonious and healthy language and cultural environment, causing negative social impacts," --- whoever taught the leaders the word harmonious should be shot.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101222/lf_afp/lifestylechinamedialanguage_20101222170218

Oh, well ...

Surprising? Not really.

Retarded? Of course.

How do you spell "April Fool's" in Chinese?

Somebody obviously hasn't been to China in the last 2 or 3 decades.

I was thinking the same thing! English is taught from elemtary school through college in China as a second languang, many western technical words to not have any equivelent in Chinese.

I was thinking the same thing! English is taught from elemtary school through college in China as a second languang, many western technical words to not have any equivelent in Chinese.

If any Chinese web site violates the policy, you can report them using their ICP (Internet Content Provider) number, located at the bottom of every page.

e.g.,

¾©ICP±¸06034703ºÅ

I agree that is it a strange idea and story but there are a lot of links to it ... it couldn't be another example of the western press "stretching" a story about China.

Why would they also REQUIRE an English-language acronym on every web site? http://en.wikipedia....iki/ICP_license

The GAPP (General Administration of Press and Publication) web page seems fairly free of English acronyms (except for their URL and the ICP number, of course), but they published an article the same day as that supposed regulation using the CD and DVD acronyms. Highly doubtful.

Alan,

Nice to see you taking an interest again here --- your posts are always among the most relevant. Agree with the healthy cynicism of others --- and why haven't more wires services followed up? this should be big news. What comes to mind is a French reaction--- in reverse. The French, having lost all empire (and some might say---like me---world respect) retrench their language rules to protect the 'historic' French language. While, apparently, the Mandarins --- on a rocket to world dominance become defensive about their language?? after teaching 50 + million per year public school students English? Doesn't make much sense...

But was at a NY eve party where I encountered a 'nativist' American ---- National Language---English---English Only in public schools----no exceptions. He also made the point that the Chinese were: 'highly nationalistic' My point back: perhaps, but they teach English to their children, while 'patriots' (like yourself), would limit Mandarin to venues outside of public schools. "who cares?" says he: "English is the language of business" --- My reply: "so" do you suppose the Chinese are teaching their children English as a courtesy to Americans?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12050067

http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/articles/blogs-shanghai/cw-radar/english-words-banned-in-chinese-media/

The Global Times, the BBC, The Economic Times and South China Morning Post reported on the ruling.

"Is this really going to be enforced? While this might seem quite shocking at first, many of these government notices are rarely followed. In April, TV channels were told to ban English acronyms and it never caught on. For now we'll just wait, watch and see what comes of this bright idea."

Edited by shenzhen (see edit history)

Alan,

Nice to see you taking an interest again here --- your posts are always among the most relevant. Agree with the healthy cynicism of others --- and why haven't more wires services followed up? this should be big news. What comes to mind is a French reaction--- in reverse. The French, having lost all empire (and some might say---like me---world respect) retrench their language rules to protect the 'historic' French language. While, apparently, the Mandarins --- on a rocket to world dominance become defensive about their language?? after teaching 50 + million per year public school students English? Doesn't make much sense...

But was at a NY eve party where I encountered a 'nativist' American ---- National Language---English---English Only in public schools----no exceptions. He also made the point that the Chinese were: 'highly nationalistic' My point back: perhaps, but they teach English to their children, while 'patriots' (like yourself), would limit Mandarin to venues outside of public schools. "who cares?" says he: "English is the language of business" --- My reply: "so" do you suppose the Chinese are teaching their children English as a courtesy to Americans?"

You'll enjoy this take on the "rule"..

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2010/12/chinese_purism

Well, they can start by figuring out what to do about their own English-language acronym (GAPP), and the ICP (Internet Content Provider) notice that is required on every Chinese web site.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to figure out what happened to CCTV-9 - it appears to now be a Chinese-language station. The old English-language channel CCTV-9 was renamed to CCTV News, and now can't be found (so far).

Well, they can start by figuring out what to do about their own English-language acronym (GAPP), and the ICP (Internet Content Provider) notice that is required on every Chinese web site.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to figure out what happened to CCTV-9 - it appears to now be a Chinese-language station. The old English-language channel CCTV-9 was renamed to CCTV News, and now can't be found (so far).

Oh no, say it ain't so Randy....they lost CCTV-9??? That means when I'm in Chinertucky I'll be forced to watch either them high singin' people dressed up in old clothes and fake beards, or endless editions of Chairman Moe savin' China from the Japanese invaders.

I really liked the one guy on TV-9 who gave the interviews...he was sharp as a tack and DID NOT let people get away with evading his questions with politician type double talk...I saw and laughed hilariously as he relentlessly took some of our jokers through the ringer....I would have LOVED to see him interview a VO, or better yet the head of the GUZ IV unit. THAT would have been simply CLASSIC.

tsap seui

Oh- found¡¡this on the CCTV News web site

Q: Why can't I find CCTV NEWS (English Channel) on TV? Is it completely replaced by the CCTV9 Documentary (a newly launched channel which speaks Chinese)? How can I get CCTV NEWS back on my TV? ÕÒ²»µ½CCTVÓ¢ÓïƵµÀÁË¡£ÊDz»ÊDZ»Ð¿ª²¥µÄ¼Í¼ƬƵµÀÈ¡´úÁËѽ£¿

A: CCTV NEWS (English Channel) is still free on TV. The local TV company may have confused some channels due to the launch of new channels. A new channel search on your TV set may help you get CCTV NEWS back.

Jiaying said the lady she called told her , "We didn't do it - Beijing did!"