Affidavit of Support Concerns

Now that it's time to start looking at the Affidavit of Support, I'm running into some concerns. Namely, my co-sponsor is dragging his feet about it. My understanding was that this affidavit was only good until my Chinese fiancee and I got married, and then a new sponsor would need to submit one. My potential co-sponsor, however, is under the impression that the affidavit of support is forever (forever meaning until my fiancee becomes a citizen, returns to China, or dies), and the second affidavit submitted after marriage only covers alimony. He doesn't want to be held responsible for my fiancee for that long.

I would just as well be the sole sponsor, but, even though I'm making $40,000 a year, I've only had this job for a few months and don't have the years of financial history they like to see. Am I correct in thinking trying to be the sole sponsor would just get us denied? And are my co-sponsor's fears justified?

I-134 Affidavit of support covers from entry until green-card, When you file for adjustment of status you will ues a different affidavit of support (I-864), at which time if your income situation is better you can solo sponsor, or use a different joint sponsor.

I-134 is for providing support for a NON-immigrant, not an IMMIGRANT which a person adjusting status becomes, I-864 is for supporting an IMMIGRANT.

USCIS.Gov

The information for I-134 pertains to visitors and non-immigrants, I-134 instructions, and it states there that those who are immigrants must use I-864.

Adjustment of status is changing status from NON-Immigrant to Immigrant, I-134 is not valid for immigrants.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

I would just as well be the sole sponsor, but, even though I'm making $40,000 a year, I've only had this job for a few months and don't have the years of financial history they like to see. Am I correct in thinking trying to be the sole sponsor would just get us denied? And are my co-sponsor's fears justified?

Can you get an employer letter saying this is permanent, full time? When is your potential interview?

the strategy may be that you submit solo and your lady has the co-sponsor ready if asked for.