Call-in handled by designated representative and pink slip

My turn to announce some good news.

While in Guangzhou last week during the Thanksgiving week call-in mess, I had my wife go to a Guangzhou notary to designate a close personal friend to handle the call-in. The notary seemed familiar with this type of letter and had a template document all ready to go. I figured 200rmb was cheap enough to give this a try, and worst case was another flight down to GUZ.

The notarized letter was available for pickup this past Monday so our friend promptly took it to the consulate along with call-in letter, new medical exam, and her passport. The consulate promptly gave a pink slip and sent our friend to the EMS desk.

Hopefully another couple of days and we'll see what visa expiration date will be.

Our next problem is how to get the medical exam X-ray tube back up to Shanghai. None of the kuaidi delivery services were willing to ship it unless they could open it up and inspect the contents. Of course, breaking the seal on the tube invalidates the contents for US customs purposes, so we'll have to wait for someone to bring it via plane.

Whatever you do to get the x-ray back is all well and good, but, if it turns out to be impractical, don't sweat. No one will need to look at it except possibly (rare cases, such as my wife) for a medical reference (some doctors have used these up to several years after they were taken). Actually, let them break the seal, if they need to.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2mruqv6.jpg

Co
ng
ra
tu
la
ti
on
s
!!

http://i1.tinypic.com/3ygwmdz.gif

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Do not worry about the x-ray, the doctor for the visa medical uses it to detect TB, and gives you the x-ray to keep, it is rare that POE is even interested in the x-ray and they could care less about any seal on it.

What IS important is that the immigrations packet, the large brown envelope remains sealed, that envelope contains medical results.

Thanks for the Xray advice. Friend finally found a company willing to ship it unopened.

We received the visa and entry packet this past weekend as according to original timeline.

To our surprise, they gave us six months from the latest medical exam date to enter the US. On the call-in letter, the security advisory background check expiration date was four months (2010-Oct-13 to 2011-Feb-13), so fortunately that background check is not the limiting factor in visa expiration.

Now comes the final and toughest part - getting the wife to actually let go of the job and friends in China to start over again from scratch... It was easy enough to talk about when it was just a future possibility, but much more angst provoking when it's time to execute.