AOS for K1 Visa

I need to send in my wife's I-485 along with the other necessary papers within the next month. She arrived here nearly two months ago and we got married a couple of weeks ago.

1) I-693A. Is this still necessary? My wife did all the necessary medical examinations for properly obtaining the K1 visa and is here now with apparently no record of it. I do not if she was supposed to get DS-3025 or something else but she asked for documentation and nobody would give her a straight answer (in China.) After the interview she got the large, sealed envelope (that she was not supposed to open...and didn't) and I assumed the paperwork was inside. So do I need to further document this or does USCIS have this?

2) On her I-94 card that is stapled to her passport she filled in the WRONG first name. She wrote "Queqian" rather than "Xueqian" and has no idea if she also made this mistake on the part that is detached and handed over at the airport. http://immigrationroad.com/documents/I-94_Front_Blank.pdf <-- there is a picture and on the bottom one she has written her name incorrectly and I have no way of knowing if we should correct the mistake ourselves to match what COULD be correct on their copy or could be fine. All I know is that in order to change the name with USCIS it is a $320 fee along with form I-102.

I am seeing a couple of "complete guides to K1 AOS" and am not sure how current they are. I am looking for a checklist of what is needed and what we should have done to make sure we got the information we are needing now. It just seems strange to me that all she showed up with are all of the forms we filled out for the initial K1 petition and interview but none of the paperwork from P4 on. She said she handed over everything at the airport and was left with a passport that has her K1 visa and a stapled I-94 form. Nothing new that I had not seen since leaving China right before her interview.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sean

1) The I-693A vaccinations supplement no longer exists, it has been rolled into form I-693. You will need to get the vaccinations portion of the I-693 done for AOS, topic pinned at the top of this forum called "Good, Bad, Ugly" regarding US Civil surgeons. If the doctor insists on a full medical, move on to another, K-1 only needs vaccinations record done.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41344

2) Check I-94 see if there is an A# on it, and if it matches the number noted on I-129F approval notice.

A solid guide for AOS can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos (This is what I used)

DO NOT send original documents, plain photocopies are fine. (DO NOT send the I-129F approval notice, I-94 card, Marriage cert, etc, send photo copies of them)

1) I just don't understand who will be filling out the I-693. Is it a must that we now go to a doctor in the U.S. even after she did all the required medical checks and vaccinations in the Chinese hospital required by Guangzhou? Should they have given her something there in order to bring to the doctor this time? (a DS-3025? an I-693? SOMETHING?) Does USCIS not have this on file after the airport forwards the sealed envelope to them? I just don't remember anything in the K1 interview preparation guides that explicitly tell you to hang on to papers that you will then need to take to a doctor here in the U.S.

So on the I-693, the medical examination stuff first 3 pages (except "information about you") is left blank and only the "Vaccine History Transferred from a Written Record" is filled in? Why in the world would we have to do all of that in China and then figure out how a US Civil Surgeon here in the U.S. can transfer that record? What should they be transferring it from? I was under the impression that all of the records were given to Guanzhou during the interview, sealed in an envelope, given to to immigration at the airport, and then sent to USCIS. Every time she asked about this at the Chinese hospital or at the interview they told her "don't worry, you won't need anything, this is all being sent in your sealed envelope."

2) I do not have the I-94 card handy but I am 99.9% sure the A# wasn't on there. It wasn't on the K1 visa stamp in the passport either. So I ended up looking at the NOA2 in order to find it. I am still debating whether it is a good idea to change the name on the I-94 to the correct Pinyin before scanning it. She has no idea whether she made the misspelling on both the part that she handed over to them or just the part that was stapled into her book. I am afraid to fill in on the I-485 line that says "write the exact spelling of your name as it appears on your I-94" as "it says Queqian but it SHOULD have been written as Xueqian."

Thank you for the help, dnoblett. This AOS part is starting to seem like more hassle than the getting the damn visa in the first place. All of this after I was very careful to have double back-ups of everything and ask every question along the way. Now suddenly I am in need of things I don't have and don't know how to get (and can barely afford.)

1) You don't just got to any doctor, they need to be a US Civil Surgeon, your fiancee only needed to satisfy medical requirements as for grounds for medical inadmissibility, however in-order to immigrate your fiancee needs the required vaccinations documented. Vaccinations are not required for a K-1 visa, however they are required to immigrate and receive a green-card. The vaccinations portion of I-693 needs to be completed.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-693_1.png

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-693_2.png

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-693instr.pdf

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-485Vaccinations.png

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

In my case my wife got got vaccinations done in China, and we had the record (Yellow book) transferred to an I-693 by a civil surgeon.

If this doctor insists on a FULL medical, look for another doctor. In my case I brought a copy of I-485 and I-693 directions and sowed the doctor the instructions stating only the vaccinations record was needed.

Where to find a US Civil Surgeon: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

2) The reverse side of I-94 may have an A# Anyway I would put a line through the Q and place an X next to it, and note this, all other supporting documents will have correct name.

I'm setting up for this and I called a few civil surgeons. One no longer was doing it, another didn't seem to have it all straight... she insisted on a full medical and gave me a slightly different list of needed vaccines then I think are needed. She asked for things like syphillis vaccine etc... ?! NEXT!

I plan on getting the vaccinations done by my doctor, bringing the documented list of what is needed, and then having it covered through insurance. Then I saw in the recommendations here of a good one about 40 mins away that is probably worth the drive. Will just do the paperwork for a small fee.

Yes, filing for a visa [through DOS] and a green card [through USCIS] are separate issues, costs, and seemingly redundant steps. That a K1 doesn't need the shots for the visa but needs it for a green card is an unfortunately disconnect. I usually recommend people to get the shots in china anyways but most just don't plan that far ahead for AOS. If she doesn't have proof of the shots, even if she has had them before, she may be required to take them again.

As for the I-94, I would write down the correct name on the I-485. You have to stop the misspelling somewhere. It is easy enough to provide a cover letter explaining this.

One note about vaccinations, immunity can be verified by titer tests for some and that is suitable for some vaccinations.

Still need to get the test results transferred to an I-693.

Ok, thank you for the help. I feel better about the misspelling and have been hoping to avoid a $320 fee on the form (already forgot the #) which USCIS uses to correct a misspelling on an I-94.

Now with a less than a month before the I-94 expiration, I realize we need to do more medical stuff. Just a careless mistake (or wishful thinking) I suppose. I have already looked up a list of US Civil Surgeons in my area and will begin making calls today.

Just so I know...What could I have done to avoid this?

"If the vaccination record (DS-3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original, overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon."

1) How do I know if her vaccination record was properly or improperly "completed"? Did this not go into the sealed packet forwarded to USCIS by the airline carrier? Is there a copy floating around somewhere? Who would have given her the DS-3025 while still in China? (She DID have vaccinations completed during the full medical examination.) Should she has asked specifically for it? At what point?

2) dnoblett: You mention your wife had a "yellow book." Is that a standard thing that is normally given to people in China receiving vaccinations?

3) If I can't find the "yellow book" and don't have the DS-3025 and I take her to a civil surgeon, the best they can do is do a titer test and go from there since she already had some, if not all, vaccinations?

NEW question: If she is not anxious to leave the country or begin working in the next month or two, can the forms "I-765, Application for Employment Authorization" and "I-131, Application for Travel Document" be sent in AFTER the I-485 package if we suddenly decide she IS in a hurry and the AOS isn't being completed quickly enough? No sense in spending a few hundred extra dollars to get these things early if they are not going to be used. (She agrees...)

So, the things *absolutely* necessary (and nothing more) include the following and need to be sent TOGETHER, correct?

I-485

I-864

I-693

complete copy of her passport

copy of I-94

copy of her birth certificate (the "gong zheng zhu" white book received in China)

copy of our marriage certificate

a NEW G325A

2 passport-style photos

1) Again this is one of those things that is NOT required for a fiancee visa because it is considered to be NON-Immigrant, so the medical center will not do it (DS-3025), in all K-1 cases you will need to get it handled in the USA. As to how to have avoided this, the answer is simple, (Marry in China, and file for a Spouse CR-1 immigrant visa). I wish the med center would do the vaccination record for K-1 but they don't.

2) Yes, if vaccinated at the medical center for travel or immigrations reasons they will issue a passport sized yellow book documenting this.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/YellowBook.jpg

3) Best to consult family doctor as to what and where can get done where costs the least vaccinations or titer tests.

What is required:

• MMR (Mumps, Measles, Rubella)
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox)
  • Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids

4) Yes I-131 and/or I-765 can be filed after filing I-485, you simply include a photocopy of I-485 (NOA1 Receipt letter) in order to not pay a fee for the EAD or AP, I-765 has question #16 marked (c )(9 ) based on pending I-485.

As for list, a few adjustments.

• Birth Cert requires an English translation attached, probably got one in China.
  • Only photocopy of Passport cover, bio page and page with visa and entry stamps needs to be sent, not the entire passport.
  • You can use an I-864EZ if; (Single immigrant, no joint sponsor, and no assets being used) I used this for our AOS.

Instructions are for both the K1 and CR1. So the CR1 would have the vaccinations done in China; the K1 is not required to. So for most K1s, they will not have something in side the medical record and thus need to provide proof of the shots or get them.

The only think you could of done is have the AOS required vaccinations done while in china AT ANY HOSPITAL or Clinic. One doesn't need this at an approved location; These are just shots not rocket science. You just want to make sure she gets the yellow book to show the shots.

She has to have proof of the shots or get shots. In some cases, a test (even a blood test for Varicella). In the end, you are at the complete discretion of the civil surgeon. If he says she must get something because of lack of proof then you need them; or you can move on to another but that wastes too much time.

You should talk to their office and confirm what you need based on what you have. So, you can try to have all shots done prior to going and bring proof or be prepare for the CS to do the shots.

The EAD and AP are FREE with the filing... don't pass it up !! You'll pay later in more ways than you care to know.

Follow the VJ list. Check against that and see what your missing and then ask questions.

Thanks for the info. I will get it handled as soon as possible and get back to you. Thanks for the specifics on what vaccinations are required. I will find out tonight if she has that yellow book somewhere. It would be great if she did...

I guess I was looking at old (pre July 30, 2007) info that showed that the EAD and AP were extra. I just checked the USCIS to confirm that these are included. I guess the package is $1010 no matter what. Oh well! Good to have them anyway.

BTW, the birth certificate is that white book with the English translations already inside...done in China at the Notary Office. I will just attach a note card explaining what it is because the front is in Chinese. I will also scan just the necessary parts of the passport, too. I had considered doing the entire thing just to be careful but I think I'll go with what you said. For her interview I had 2 scans of my entire passport, one of them entirely annotated with my comments, and that was not fun to put together if I remember correctly.