Birth Certificate for Poor Chinese

One of the document requirements listed on DS230 is birth certificate.

For us , Americans, this is so simple, every one of us has one.

Imagine for China back 30-40 yrs ago. So poor, most of them , were born in the farms , no hospital , no record, how do they get one ???

Would appreciate your guidance how and where my wife can obtain hers ?

Birth Certificates Available in the form of notarial certificates, which are secondary evidence. Notarial certificates of birth (Chu Sheng Gong Zheng Shu or Chu Sheng Zheng Ming Shu) for persons living in or recently departed from China are generally reliable, but are best used in conjunction with other evidence. They are most often based upon an AHHR, (Household Record) which is easily susceptible to fraud, especially in villages. Notarial birth certificates for persons long departed from China are most likely based merely upon the testimony of interested parties.

While some notarial birth certificates will list stepparents or adoptive parents along with natural parents, this is not always the case. In some cases, the certificates will list only the natural parents, covering up an adoption.

Some applicants will present notarial certificates of relationship (Guan Xi Gong Zheng [or Zheng Ming] Shu) in lieu of notarial birth certificates. These certificates of relationship are unreliable and tend to be based solely upon the testimony of interested parties. Notarial birth certificates should be required. Care should be taken with any certificate that lists step relationships. These relationships are as of the date of issuance of the certificate only. Marriage certificates should also be required.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_4881.html?cid=3537

Simply go to the notary office having jurisdiction over home town, this is indicated on national ID card, there you can get one based on household record, as well as an English translation, other docs can be acquired there or translated there, like police cert, divorce cert, unmarried cert, death cert, etc..

It isn't as hard as it would seem. My husband is 37 and from a smallish village in Yunnan. He was born at home, not in the hospital and over the summer we just got him his birth certificate/notarized book.

What you need to do first is go to the party office of your wife's village. It is called the ´åί»á (cun wei hui), I don't know how you'd translate this into English, but your wife should know what you're talking about. Someone there will write up a document stating her name, date of birth, place of birth, and parents' names and give it an official seal (ours was actually handwritten). You take that to the nearest notary office and they'll turn it into an official notarized birth certificate booklet for you. My husband's village didn't actually have its own notary office, so we had to take the document to the nearest city, Kunming, and had the notarized copy made there.

If you're unsure you can have your wife call up the main notary office (¹«Ö¤´¦) in her provincial capital and they'll tell her exactly where to go and what to do.

It isn't as hard as it would seem. My husband is 37 and from a smallish village in Yunnan. He was born at home, not in the hospital and over the summer we just got him his birth certificate/notarized book.

What you need to do first is go to the party office of your wife's village. It is called the ´åί»á (cun wei hui), I don't know how you'd translate this into English, but your wife should know what you're talking about. Someone there will write up a document stating her name, date of birth, place of birth, and parents' names and give it an official seal (ours was actually handwritten). You take that to the nearest notary office and they'll turn it into an official notarized birth certificate booklet for you. My husband's village didn't actually have its own notary office, so we had to take the document to the nearest city, Kunming, and had the notarized copy made there.

If you're unsure you can have your wife call up the main notary office (¹«Ö¤´¦) in her provincial capital and they'll tell her exactly where to go and what to do.

Thanks so much for the info.

I'm more relief.

Granted that this certificate is accepted by GZ consulate ?

Thanks so much for the info.

I'm more relief.

Granted that this certificate is accepted by GZ consulate ?

If it comes from a notary office it will be accepted by the consulate.
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the very helpful feedback.

My wife got her certificate from the cun wei hui . The problem is the local notarial office ( Gong Zen ) doesn't want to certify it without the authentication from the local public security bureau ( Gong An Jie ). When she went to the local PBS , her name is not in their computer system since her Hu Kou is from different city . She was adopted and moved to a different city when she was a kid . Both her biological parents name are indeed in the local PBS computer system .

What a bureaucratic mess ....

Don't know how to resolve this.

Any feed back , just let us know. Thanks .