The Race For 10 Yr GC or Citizenship, Who Wins

I completed the adoption of my son.

I submitted the N-600 data package to the USCIS at the beginning of October.

The USCIS has cashed my check and I have revc'd a receipt from them in the mail.

I recently received a statement from the USCIS that it is time for me prepare his I-751 (via his mother) package.

Since the N-600 process is now active, do I need to submit and pay the fees for his portion of the I-751?

Thank you,
-Squonk

No just mother's fees for I-751. Son is considered to be a US citizen.

That letter is an automated one and does not take int account the adoption.

I believe LeeFisher adopted his boy too and if I recall child did not need to do anything with regard to removal of conditions because child obtained citizenship throug the adoption.

You may want to shoot Lee a PM and ask.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1706

I'd be surprised if US and Swedish Adoption laws vary.??If I adopt a child from anywhere in the world He/She will Automatically get MY Citizenship

You're exactly correct (although there are age limits to that) - the N-600 is simply a citizenship certification - certifying that he is ALREADY an American citizen.

I'd be surprised if US and Swedish Adoption laws vary.??If I adopt a child from anywhere in the world He/She will Automatically get MY Citizenship

You're exactly correct (although there are age limits to that) - the N-600 is simply a citizenship certification - certifying that he is ALREADY an American citizen.

Thank you all for the replies.

I guess I'm still a little confused.

What do I enter for his immigration status in Part 5 of my wife's I-751?

I have asked 2 immigration lawyers and they did not know.

I cannot find in the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 where it explicity says that he is automatically deemed a US citizen.

Requirements are provided, but doesn't some official entity have to verify them?

He is considered a citizen only after the USCIS says he is?

I was told that he may be able to apply for a passport and be deemed a US citizen via the passport.

He has been issued a California birth certificate (Court Order Delayed Registration Of Birth).

Thank you,

-Squonk

I cannot find in the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 where it explicity says that he is automatically deemed a US citizen.

Requirements are provided, but doesn't some official entity have to verify them?

I was told that he may be able to apply for a passport and be deemed a US citizen via the passport.

He has been issued a California birth certificate (Court Order Delayed Registration Of Birth).

Thank you,

-Squonk

"US Citizen" Child is a citizen through adoption. Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Back during my I-129F days, I was told of a "trick" about getting your receipt number before you recv'd the NOA1 form and that was to use a personal check for the fees. The cancelled check would have the receipt number stamped on the back.

Well, it appears that the Los Angeles Field Office uses electronic check processing so no hard or soft copy of the check is available. So I cannot use the cancelled check to obtain the USCIS receipt number.

However, the USCIS did send me a small paper receipt (like the ones you would recieve in a store).

It has a receipt number on it, but when I enter it into the USCIS Case Status System, it returns an error message that the number is not valid.

I am pretty sure that it needs a 3 letter prefix (or some additional chracters) in front of it, but I do not know what the prefix should be.

Does anyone know?

Thank you,

-Squonk

Back during my I-129F days, I was told of a "trick" about getting your receipt number before you recv'd the NOA1 form and that was to use a personal check for the fees. The cancelled check would have the receipt number stamped on the back.

Well, it appears that the Los Angeles Field Office uses electronic check processing so no hard or soft copy of the check is available. So I cannot use the cancelled check to obtain the USCIS receipt number.

However, the USCIS did send me a small paper receipt (like the ones you would recieve in a store).

It has a receipt number on it, but when I enter it into the USCIS Case Status System, it returns an error message that the number is not valid.

I am pretty sure that it needs a 3 letter prefix (or some additional chracters) in front of it, but I do not know what the prefix should be.

Does anyone know?

Thank you,

-Squonk

EAC = Vermont

WAC = California

Thank you,

-Squonk

The passport or the N-600 will certify to anyone who needs to know that he IS an American citizen. His "immigration status" would be American citizen.

Purpose of Form :For an individual to document U.S. citizenship status based on citizen parentage.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

One note: Once you have evidence of citizenship, visit SSA and provide this to them to update their records, and if his SSN still has the restriction note on it they will issue a new card without restriction note. Also a green card holder can get an unrestricted SSN card too, in our case we visited SSA showed unexpired green card and ordered SSN card without "valid with DHS auth" notation on it.