I-751 question

I ordered past 2 years IRS return Transcripts, and attached that. I had IRS fax them to me so the FAX cover letter from IRS added a bit of class. Note simple transcripts are free.

But, yes they just want to see a joint tax return, so a photo copy of 1040 page 1 and 2 should do.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I ordered past 2 years IRS return Transcripts, and attached that. I had IRS fax them to me so the FAX cover letter from IRS added a bit of class. Note simple transcripts are free.

But, yes they just want to see a joint tax return, so a photo copy of 1040 page 1 and 2 should do.

Transcripts are not free any longer. I forget the price... but not cheap... I thinks its about $60 per return... crazy!

Exact Copies of Tax Returns - $57.00 Fee Per Tax Year

You can get an exact copy of a previously filed and processed U.S. income tax return and all attachments (including Form W-2), by completing IRS Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mailing it to the address listed in the instructions, along with a payment of $57.00 for each tax year requested. Make you check or money order payable to the "United States Treasury."

Exact copies of income tax returns are generally available for returns filed in the current and past six years. Copies of jointly filed tax returns may be requested by either spouse and only one signature is required. Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.

Transcripts of Tax Returns ¨C No Charge

For many purposes, you can meet the requirements for past tax returns with a ¡°transcript¡± ¨C a computer print-out of the information on your old tax return ¨C rather than an exact copy. A transcript may be an acceptable substitute for an exact copy of a return by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies for student loans and mortgages.

A "tax return transcript" will show most line items contained on the return as it was originally filed. If you need a statement of your tax account which shows changes that you or the IRS made after the original return was filed, however, you must request a "tax account transcript". Both transcripts are generally available for the current and past three years and are provided free of charge. The period in which you will receive the transcript varies from within ten to thirty business days from the time the IRS receives your request for the tax return or tax account transcript.

The fees are listed on the request forms - $57 per year for a full copy - free for a transcript

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

Thanks, dnoblett. That really helps.