In-Laws B2s approved

Eric

My In-laws had a B-2 interview in GUZ on Tuesday and both were approved. My MIL said that it was a very easy interview consisting of 6 questions and that no property ownership or bank balance documentation was asked for. They were also allowed to interview together.

Congrats!

Good to see the NIV unit has lightened up a little.

Yes, I was pretty suprised at how pain free the entire process turned out to be. My wife and I filled out an online DS-160 for each of them and printed out the confirmation pages. We then immediatly called the Visa Information Center in Shanghai and got their interview scheduled for 3 weeks later. My MIL said that most people interviewing for B-2s the same day that they did were getting approved.

Edited by Eric (see edit history)

Congrats!

Yes, I was pretty suprised at how pain free the entire process turned out to be. My wife and I filled out an online DS-160 for each of them and printed out the confirmation pages. We then immediatly called the Visa Information Center in Shanghai and got their interview scheduled for 3 weeks later. My MIL said that most people interviewing for B-2s the same day that they did were getting approved.

So the appointment was requested from the Shanghai consulate but conducted in GUZ? Initially you said the interview was in GUZ?

We have been pretty lucky with the Shanghai consulate as they are mainly processing visas for business purposes so they aren't as fussy but we have seen many visitor B visas get denied here is there is no prior visitation history or business/academic need. As for relatives, haven't seen too much done in Shanghai I don't think.

Congrats!

So the appointment was requested from the Shanghai consulate but conducted in GUZ? Initially you said the interview was in GUZ?

We have been pretty lucky with the Shanghai consulate as they are mainly processing visas for business purposes so they aren't as fussy but we have seen many visitor B visas get denied here is there is no prior visitation history or business/academic need. As for relatives, haven't seen too much done in Shanghai I don't think.

The Visa Information Center is located in Shanghai not the consulate. (They handle information and appointments for the NIV (Non Immigrant Visa) Units located in all consulates and the US Embassy in China.

https://www.usavisainformation.com.cn/eng/index.aspx

Dan is correct - the Visa Information Center in Shanghai handles the scheduling of all NIV visa interview appointments no matter which consulate you interview at. You have to purchase one of the prepaid PIN numbers for the call - this can be done online.