China Social Security

Not sure where to put this one or if anyone else has had this come up. If my wife lives out her life in America as a permanent residence or becomes a citizen can she still get China Social Security for the years she worked in China. She is a little worried now that she can't collect the money when she reaches the retired age. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

China does not recognize dual citizenship, if your wife goes beyond green card status and naturalizes and becomes a US citizen she becomes eligible for full social security from the USA.I believe its one or the other not both.

From some searching:

Benefits from the social security system can be collected by Overseas Chinese by presenting their Chinese passports if they meet the conditions for enjoying the social security benefits in China. If the Overseas Chinese lives abroad, he/she can either authorize a domestic third party for collection, or ask the social security department to remit the due amount to them (bank charges to be borne by the Overseas Chinese). For purpose of a continuous collection, the Overseas Chinese must submit a legalized health statement to the competent social security department on a yearly basis, which forms a rather cumbersome administrative hurdle.
http://reaction.taylorwessing.com/reaction/Newsletters/IntlEmployment/2010_Jan_Page02.html

"Overseas Chinese" Typically means Chinese citizens living outside of China, as in a permanent resident (Green-Card holder) in the USA.

I was hoping it didn't matter if she became a US citizen or not. My mother is British, immigrated and was still able to collect all her social security in a lump sum when she turned 65. I wonder if that would be a option for my wife with China.

We had one other member some time ago say that when his wife became a USC, she was able to collect her benefits in one lump sum.

Not sure but perhaps it was Tine&Ella?

I was hoping it didn't matter if she became a US citizen or not. My mother is British, immigrated and was still able to collect all her social security in a lump sum when she turned 65. I wonder if that would be a option for my wife with China.

We had one other member some time ago say that when his wife became a USC, she was able to collect her benefits in one lump sum.

she don't have to wait to retire, she can draw it all out anytime she want, my wife drew all her's out after she gite her visa , one lump sum, it would be nice if we could do that in America

she don't have to wait to retire, she can draw it all out anytime she want, my wife drew all her's out after she gite her visa , one lump sum, it would be nice if we could do that in America

That's good. I hope we can do. Where do you think we start. She has only paid for 12 years and were hoping there isn't a penatly like getting money from our 401K in America. She seems to think she can't touch the money until she has worked for 15 years China.

That's good. I hope we can do. Where do you think we start. She has only paid for 12 years and were hoping there isn't a penalty like getting money from our 401K in America. She seems to think she can't touch the money until she has worked for 15 years China.

I think we're still paying into my wife's retirement, or I should say she is.

I believe my wife left money in an account in China, and they draft from it to meet the retirement payment.

Not unless there is a social security convention between China and the U.s ( Like between France and the U.S ) I can safely bet there is none.

• 3 weeks later...

China does not recognize dual citizenship, if your wife goes beyond green card status and naturalizes and becomes a US citizen she becomes eligible for full social security from the USA.I believe its one or the other not both.

I'm confused. Assuming a wife and a US Citizen have been married at least 10 years, are you saying that (1) she would be eligible to collect social security as a US Citizen but(2) would NOT be eligible to collect social security as a US Permanent resident (green card holder).

I was under the (perhaps erroneous) impression that she could collect social security either way.

Please clarify. Many thanks.

TB

Edited by True Blue (see edit history)

I'm confused. Assuming a wife and a US Citizen have been married at least 10 years, are you saying that (1) she would be eligible to collect social security as a US Citizen but(2) would NOT be eligible to collect social security as a US Permanent resident (green card holder).

I was under the (perhaps erroneous) impression that she could collect social security either way.

Please clarify. Many thanks.

TB

I called social security (for what that's worth) and ask directly this question.

The response was that if my wife (a Chinese citizen) had 40 qualifying quarters of work she would be entitled to social security.

What I didn't cover was how much and if she could claim my social security benefit after i die.

I would be really intresting to present these situation to social security and get a direct answer.

If my wife becomes a US citizen, she would NOT be able to collecet Chinese retirement, though recently i read she could collect a lump sum, I don't know about those details. She would never become a US citizen though, because foreigners can only own 1 property in China, and all our retirement properties (rental) would have to be sold.

The other problem is that the law can change. With the future shortage of funds in the social security fund, it is reasonable to expect that they will try to find ways to reduce the payout without impacting US citizens. Denying foreign citizens would be one way to accomplish that.

Edited by credzba (see edit history)