Marriage License in the USA

vpr

Just wanted to check if there was anything I needed to do to make sure our marriage is recognized and accepted in the US. Don't know if it depends on State laws, if it does I'm in Texas.

My concerns are:

1) Our marriage license is in Chinese - As you all know there isn't much English on them at all

2) My job is covering my spouse for medical insurance but they want proof of marriage or a joint filled tax return. I talked to them about the marriage license and the people I talked to didn't really know what to say - they just suggested sending in copies of what we have and they'll send a response (annoying). Since we arrived in the US in July, we haven't filled taxes yet - I filled in China, but I filled single since my wife didn't have a SSN or anything at that time.

3) Any costs required for this? I emailed the Attorney General's office about this question, and they said:

County clerks are responsible for having a marriage recognized by the state of Texas. You may wish to contact your county clerk¡¯s office with questions involving the recognition of a marriage performed abroad. You may wish to discuss this matter with a private attorney. The Lawyer Referral Service of the State Bar of Texas can assist you in contacting an attorney in Texas with relevant expertise. The Lawyer Referral Service can be reached at (800) 252-9690 or (512) 463-1463.

I'm not really wanting to talk to a Lawyer, nor can I afford one - :unsure: So I figured I'd just check here since everyone has been so helpful in the past! My wife checked with some of her QQ Groups and they said they didn't do anything, but I just want to double check.

Thanks,

Tom

When applying for visa, you needed a notary translation, the Chinese marriage cert along with translation is valid in the USA.

Note for terminology, A marriage License is the document that allows marriage, a marriage Certificate proves that you are in fact married.

Validity of Marriages Abroad In general, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. Inquiries regarding the validity of a marriage abroad should be directed to the attorney general of the state in the United States where the parties to the marriage live.
http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/marriage/marriage_589.html

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)