What human rights abuses?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love China, I've never felt threatened there. Unlike America though Chinese are not free to express their disagreement with the Government. I have yet to see one picket line in China or anyone protesting any government policy in a public place. Try protesting the one child policy in front of the court house there and see what happens.

Really -- I remember pickets and strikes at Honda auto part maker and other factories in 2010. I remember people protesting against a mayor/corrupted govt. and the province level govt having to step in and remove officials in order to save face. What I saw in China was that any type of civil unrest was addressed and could sometimes results in the general public getting their way. In the USA civil unrest unusually results in jail time or the party in power just telling you that you are too stupid to understand the big picture.

There is also a difference (maybe not to the guy at the buisness end of a .38,mind you) between corrupt individuals within a system acting illegally and the system itself being designed that way with full force of law behind it.

I agree. The first thought I had when dealing with Chinese officials relating to operating permits: "Wow this is refreshing...the corrupt guys are upfront and honest about it and tell me exactly what they want without involving middle men and pretending to be honest and fair". That was my experience in the difference between the two govt.

• 2 weeks later...

There is also a difference (maybe not to the guy at the buisness end of a .38,mind you) between corrupt individuals within a system acting illegally and the system itself being designed that way with full force of law behind it.

I agree. The first thought I had when dealing with Chinese officials relating to operating permits: "Wow this is refreshing...the corrupt guys are upfront and honest about it and tell me exactly what they want without involving middle men and pretending to be honest and fair". That was my experience in the difference between the two govt.

Sorry Shenzen, but the subject was people's lives and liberty being threatened, not slipping someone a $50 to get to the front of the line.

Edited by Jeikun (see edit history)

Sorry Shenzen, but the subject was people's lives and liberty being threatened, not slipping someone a $50 to get to the front of the line.

I am not talking about $50. I am talking about getting environmental and safety operating permits for chemical plants.

I never saw people's lives or liberty being threatened in China unless someone threatened the govt. or the stability of the country or critized openly the govt. Sorry but I see us heading down the exact same path and maybe even pulling even already.

Edited by shenzhen (see edit history)
  • 3 months later...

Time to close this topic - Getting too political. Let's face it, both the US and China aren't perfect and let's leave it at that. We have to be sensitive to our (many) members here who served in the US military, as well as our spouses who have Chinese citizenship.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Time to close this topic - Getting too political. Let's face it, both the US and China aren't perfect and let's leave it at that. We have to be sensitive to our (many) members here who served in the US military, as well as our spouses who have Chinese citizenship.

Agreed, I am surprised this topic remained active as long as it has, goes to show how well behaved our members can be. A few years ago this would have melted down within a few hours of it being posted.