If you married in China, what is your ITIN story ?

Did you get one before she arrived in the US?

If yes, for what reason(s), taxes, add to some account (bank, 401K)?

If no, did you do revise taxes after she arrived?

I found that my 401K said she doesn't need to be added to the account since by tax code it defaults to the spouse unless otherwise directed... but the tax code also requires the beneficiary to have a SSN or ITIN... so my 401K won't allow me to explicitly list her online since those field are 'required'.

We got the ITIN while she was still in China. It is a requirement with the IRS as far as I know plus it gave us a good deduction. And yes, evidence for the bona fides of the marriage.

File this paper when you are filing joint return next year . It can no longer be submitted alone .

The form W7 is in IRS web site.

Yes, you are filing joint return when you obtain her an ITN.

• 2 months later...

Did you have to submit something for proof of identity? So a notarized copy of her passport or what did you submit? If the former, notarized from same office which did her birth and police certs?

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

I had her passport with me so I got a copy notarized.

I believe the copy has to be notarized by a US notary.

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

Hope your doing well David.

For lil' rabbit I sent in the W-7 form, Form 2848 (power of attorney and Declaration of Representive).....and for proof of who she is, and of our marriage, I sent in a white book of lil' rabbit's birth certificate, a copy of her Chinese ID card, a copy of her passport, and the white book of our wedding certificate.

I didn't know how to get her signature notorized in America or for that matter, anything else I had so I just gave them everything I had.

Good luck to you, maybe in March, or whenever we're both in-country at the same time we will meet up in our wive's lil' city and have some laughs at this whole process and life in general. Lil' rabbit wants me to go over and stay with her until the interview, once we get through the NVC and the case is on it's way to the consulate....I'm like DAMN RIGHT BABY!!! Soon, the string will be cut and I no longer will be uncle sam's yoyo.

tsap seui

Did you have to submit something for proof of identity? So a notarized copy of her passport or what did you submit? If the former, notarized from same office which did her birth and police certs?

My wife got her ITIN while we were still in China to use for filing married jointly and as another proof of relationship. We went to Beijing and had them provide a notarized copy of her passport for filing with the W7 form.

I think now you MUST file the ITIN WITH the taxes; so I cannot think about how to do it before or after the normal filing period.

Shenzhen went to BJ. I assume to the Embassy where they notarized a copy. Did they allow her inside too? If not, what did you bring in, also her ID?

I would be closer to Shenyang Consulate.

It sounds like Tappy eschewed them all and told them he didn't need any stink'n notary

I think now you MUST file the ITIN WITH the taxes; so I cannot think about how to do it before or after the normal filing period.

Shenzhen went to BJ. I assume to the Embassy where they notarized a copy. Did they allow her inside too? If not, what did you bring in, also her ID?

I would be closer to Shenyang Consulate.

It sounds like Tappy eschewed them all and told them he didn't need any stink'n notary

Yes I went to the US Embassy in BJ. They let my wife come in with me but it is not a requirement. If you have her original passport and ID that is all you need to get the notarized copy of the passport.

The problem with the ITIN is just like anything else in our govt ... half of the workers don't know or can't comprehend the requirements so how you accomplish your task depends on who takes your application or who you ask.

• 8 months later...

An update on my getting an ITIN. I never got a notice from the IRS so I called them.

She did indeed get issued a number. But I think what happened was that I put on the form her chinese address and they probably had no way to really send a notice out. This guy was nice enough to print out the notice and is mailing it directly to me.

So if you fill out an ITIN, put your address as the "Applicant's mailing address" and the next section after that is a "Foreign address" block. It probably doesn't really matter if you fill this in or not. If I were to do this over, I would just put my US address.

I also confirmed with the IRS: If I want to submit an amendment to my taxes I just do it with the ITIN now.

I filed "Head of Household" since my wife is not on a bank account and if the IRS gave a refund it needs to see her name on the account... As head of household they issue the refund only in your name.

After she is here (depends on GUZ) and on a bank account, I can file as "Married, Joint" and get even more refund back...

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

I filed "Head of Household" since my wife is not on a bank account and if the IRS gave a refund it needs to see her name on the account... As head of household they issue the refund only in your name.

After she is here (depends on GUZ) and on a bank account, I can file as "Married, Joint" and get even more refund back...

I filed jointly even before my wife was here, just had the refund direct deposited.

They had no issues depositing it directly to my account even though it was technically to us both.

I filed jointly even before my wife was here, just had the refund direct deposited.

They had no issues depositing it directly to my account even though it was technically to us both.

I will say that I did go to BOA and asked them and they assured me that it would not deposit without both names... I know enough to realize what a customer service person tells you is not gospel... but since I knew what the refund would be, I didn't want to gamble.

I am glad it worked out for you.