Processing time for I-130 Petition

I know it takes approx 5 month for normal processing for an I-130 petition, but what if you have a couple problems in your past? How much extra time does it usually take? We are now sitting at 8 month without a decision from the USCIS.Has anybody else experience a problem past and if so how did it take for your processing for the first step.

The petition to USCIS is the easiest part of the process since they only care whether you are eligible and submit the proper documents to show that. Problems can vary and it's hard to know of what problem causes what delays without more detail, which you may not want to state here.

IMO, Delays at USCIS are not very common. Seeing you are aware of issues which might of affected the petition, do you feel you adequate addressed them?

My only advise is that if it gets to 10 months, which would be about 2x normal, to begin pressing USCIS to investigate the delay which they will do but they usually like to tell you to 'wait 6 months' first.

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

We waited a total of 1 1/2 years to get the final denial notice for the K-1 petition. After waiting 11 months,they sent me a denial because they claimed that I did not go to an appointment in Indianapolis to have my fingerprints taken as part of my background check.Thankfully, I had proof that I was there. Despite the fact that it was due to USCIS error, I ended up having to pay more than $500 to file a form to reopen our case. After waiting an additional 6 months, the final decision on the K-1 petition was a denial.

I was in China at the time we recieved the denial, so we decided to get married there and file for the K-3 visa. I filed it in December of last year..so you do the math.

I am not sure what the "problems in your past" are, but this process has been a living hell for us because of my past. Depending on what the issues you have are, you can probably expect a long wait.

I wish you good luck in this process. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.