October Interview Group

Hi everyone, my wife just got the interview date for Guangzhou. Unfortunately, I am on a school trip the same week. (I'm a teacher) Another teacher I talked to said that he went with his wife to the interview. Is that what is expected? Will they give her trouble if I am not there with her?

Background info:

We've been married since 2002 and both live in Shanghai right now. We applied back when first married, but were denied. Now that we've been married almost 8 years, have two kids, bought a house in the States, have more money in the bank, have been filing taxes together all these years, etc. we are trying again.

Also, I'm a teacher at an international school, but also a church worker. (Sort of a mission posting, but also contracted by the school) We do intend to move back to the States at some point, but not until all her visa/passport stuff is sorted out. Do we tell the Guangzhou people that getting her green card is a stepping stone toward getting a U.S. passport?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm a bit nervous about this due to the first denial, but our situation is much different now than it was back then, so I'm really hoping there won't be trouble. My wife speaks fluent English and can hopefully answer all the questions. My main concern is that she doesn't catch someone on a bad day or get someone with an attitude. It has happened before when trying to get travel visas. (Oh, she's been to the States half a dozen times too. I hope that helps) Anyway, I'm rambling. I look forward to hearing from someone who knows what is going on. :-)

Dave you came to the correct place. That was your number one most important step; your chances have now improved greatly.

There is much debate on if going to the interview helps at all.

It is my personal opinion it does indeed help.

One of the more experienced members will be along shortly to tell you what exactly you need to do from here.

I wish you the best of luck.

Shade. B)

Hi everyone, my wife just got the interview date for Guangzhou. Unfortunately, I am on a school trip the same week. (I'm a teacher) Another teacher I talked to said that he went with his wife to the interview. Is that what is expected? Will they give her trouble if I am not there with her?

Background info:

We've been married since 2002 and both live in Shanghai right now. We applied back when first married, but were denied. Now that we've been married almost 8 years, have two kids, bought a house in the States, have more money in the bank, have been filing taxes together all these years, etc. we are trying again.

Also, I'm a teacher at an international school, but also a church worker. (Sort of a mission posting, but also contracted by the school) We do intend to move back to the States at some point, but not until all her visa/passport stuff is sorted out. Do we tell the Guangzhou people that getting her green card is a stepping stone toward getting a U.S. passport?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm a bit nervous about this due to the first denial, but our situation is much different now than it was back then, so I'm really hoping there won't be trouble. My wife speaks fluent English and can hopefully answer all the questions. My main concern is that she doesn't catch someone on a bad day or get someone with an attitude. It has happened before when trying to get travel visas. (Oh, she's been to the States half a dozen times too. I hope that helps) Anyway, I'm rambling. I look forward to hearing from someone who knows what is going on. :-)

Never heard ANYONE say that going to the interview was a BAD idea, but if circumstances are such that you need to be elsewhere, don't feel like it's a deal breaker. The case stands on it's own merits.

8 years together should make it a cake walk, but if she stumbles on the English (the VO's accent or whatever), she should feel comfortable with asking to interview in English.

Do we tell the Guangzhou people that getting her green card is a stepping stone toward getting a U.S. passport?
I can guarantee that you won't be telling them anything they don't know here, but she will need to live in the US for three years (continuous) before she can apply for citizenship. The green card is not activated until she uses the CR-1 visa to enter the US.

She should have no problems with bonafide relationship issue, the 8 years of marriage, and children together takes care of this. No problem with US Domicile issue either you have a home in the USA. Only thing you have not mentioned is the support issue. Do you have enough assets or will your income continue once you return to the USA, or do you have a co-sponsor lined up?

As for going to interview by herself, this is not an issue, besides you would not be allowed to interview together anyway. In the case of a long-distance relationship, many feel that being together in Guangzhou for interview helps.

If she is comfortable with English, then she can always interview in English, my wife did.

She should have no problems with bonafide relationship issue, the 8 years of marriage, and children together takes care of this. No problem with US Domicile issue either you have a home in the USA. Only thing you have not mentioned is the support issue. Do you have enough assets or will your income continue once you return to the USA, or do you have a co-sponsor lined up?

As for going to interview by herself, this is not an issue, besides you would not be allowed to interview together anyway. In the case of a long-distance relationship, many feel that being together in Guangzhou for interview helps.

If she is comfortable with English, then she can always interview in English, my wife did.

We've got quite a bit in the bank, but I suppose I could get a co-sponsor if that would help. We wouldn't be able to move back permanently right away anyway. My contract at the school continues until the end of the school year. We were hoping to go back at Christmas for a visit, then back again in the summer. Since I'm a church worker, the three years of residency is waived when we start the passport process, but we'll still continue to be in the States every 6 months.

• 1 month later...